Using one of the Froyo Roms

Last Updated:

1. gandreae

gandreae Member This Topic's Starter

If I use on of the roms will I be able to keep all the contacts and apps on my rooted 2.1? If not how do I back it up. This would be extremely helpful.

Advertisement
  2. Rodeojones

Rodeojones Well-Known Member

Your contacts and apps are all connected to your Google account. Once you load a Froyo ROM the market will automatically start downloading your apps. And your contacts will still be there. I'd also recommend an app called Titanium Backup (the paid version). It allows you to backup all of your data and settings within the apps. It's pretty much essential for all rooted users.

3. gandreae

Any ideas on which version is best? I've seen a few like saphire, onix, kangerade, and pl3x. Which would you recommend?

4. Nicks88

Nicks88 Well-Known Member

Everyone will have different opinions on this. Your best bet is just to try them all out (you eventually will anyways) and find one that suits you.

5. gandreae

Is installing a custom rom like updating manually? In that I can just load it onto the sd card and do it tht way? Or is it more complicated than that?

6. binglejellsx2

binglejellsx2 Well-Known Member

Once/if you're rooted, yes it's just like a manual update.

I prefer the roms that are untouched because it lets me tweak them to my liking. Cyanogenmod is my all-time favorite since it's built from source, but source for 2.2 is still new and they are still developing it.

Sapphire is your option right now if you want a ROM built from source. The rest of the ones out right now are modified versions of the Motorola leak - they're all generally the same base with a few things added, tweaked, or omitted - *unless otherwise stated.

7. BlueIce5249

BlueIce5249 Well-Known Member

Different people will say different things. Personally I ran the leaked Motorola version and then went to BBv4 and I love it.

8. gandreae

I'm using kangerade but this also happened when I used p13x. I open advanced task killer...... and it doesn't kill its self. I can't close advanced task killer. Any ideas on help? And also I tried using p13x's gmail to put my apps back on, but I found that in setup I couldn't access the server.... but was able to on the other ones. If i could get some help here I would really apreciate it.

9. eclipsed4utoo

eclipsed4utoo Well-Known Member

this is incorrect. There are 4 ROMs that are currently built from source. Kangerade is one of them(which is what I am currently using).

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid/109340-froyo-source-rom-list-wip.html

10. gandreae

I was wondering how to get flash now that I'm using froyo.... and also what browsers use it. I've got something called flashcase, I think, but it doesn't load flash based websites on my droid. I was wondering how the get that up and running because it's pretty important to me.

11. ska.t73

ska.t73 Well-Known Member

Search this forum for Flash Player Beta.apk or some combo of that. You should be able to find links to the apk...

12. brnr17

brnr17 Well-Known Member

link for flash

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

link to website to show how to install

How To: Get Android 2.2 (Froyo) On Your Motorola Droid Right Now! | TheUnlockr