• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Using phone abroad - no charges

Goonerman1

Oct 11, 2011
Hi all.....newbie to the forum. What a great place for info and tips on a brilliant phone!!!! :D (so much better than my old iphone!!!)

I know that I need to turn off data roaming whilst on holiday abroad. I only want to use wifi and nothing else. To be doubly sure this is all I am doing would it be wise to also take the sim card out too???

Welcome to AF, glad you've found us useful! :)

As far as I recall the phone won't boot without a SIM Card, and it will reboot if you take the SIM out.

If you want to be sure you don't incur excessive charges, do the following:

Settings -> Wireless & Networks -> Mobile Network (Uncheck)
Settings -> Wireless & Networks -> Mobile Networks -> Data Roaming (Uncheck)

There is no way to turn off the phone part of the phone without turning off wireless too unfortunately. However, if you're staying in the EU, Ofcom recently assisted in making sure that you don't get charged (or it's a very small amount) for when you're contacted. You only pay when you initiate the call/text. You might want to look in to what your providers rates are.

Reactions: Goonerman1
Upvote 0
Airplane mode turns off the radio so Wireless wouldn't work in that instance unfortunately.

Mustn't have read the post properly... didn't realise that WIFI was wanted. Turning on Airplane mode will mean that you definately won't be charged, as the phone cannot access any networks, so can't rack up huge bills... ok - as El P suggested, you can turn data off and ensure that roaming is unticked (that's what I did when I went to France)!

Reactions: Goonerman1
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones