• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Using Phone as a Wifi Hotspot

Hey Guys,
I have a Desire HD and I use my phone as a wifi hotspot in the UK for free. I was wondering does anyone know if you can do so abroad?

Doesn't using it as a WIFI hotspot use your data which, whilst in the UK will probably be included in your inclusive minutes/data deal, would cost you shilst abroad, as you'd be roaming? :thinking:

Upvote 0
Well my data usage is free on my tariff and not included in my minutes but I guess if it's linked to data it may cost me money to use.

Data is free on my tarrif (500MB, not unlimited) - I think, although I am not sure, using your phone as a WIFI hotspot means that any computer would be using your phone's data which could cost you when abroad - as you would be data roaming.

Best bet would be to speak to your service provider - they may even offer you a bolt on that allows you to use data whilst roaming at a lower rate... I know they love to try and get people to sign up for bolt ons (even if only temporarily) when they're going on holiday! :)

Upvote 0
Just had a quick google on the subject for you... the link I have posted here:

Does wi-fi use up your data plan? - Yahoo! Answers

As I suspected, it says (in the second paragraph) that if you use your phone as a WIFI hotspot for your laptop, it WILL use your data allowance. Although this may not be a problem in the UK (or your home country) if you have a large/unlimitied data plan, it could end up costing if used abroad, as you'd be data roaming... as I said before... check with your service provider!! :)

Upvote 0
Just had a quick google on the subject for you... the link I have posted here:

Does wi-fi use up your data plan? - Yahoo! Answers

As I suspected, it says (in the second paragraph) that if you use your phone as a WIFI hotspot for your laptop, it WILL use your data allowance. Although this may not be a problem in the UK (or your home country) if you have a large/unlimitied data plan, it could end up costing if used abroad, as you'd be data roaming... as I said before... check with your service provider!! :)

Thank you so much.
I shall refrain from using it as a hotspot abroad.
Sxx

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones