• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Using phone as proxy or webtop over net?

guitarskoota

Oct 29, 2009
So I am looking for an app, or instructions on how to do this with my android.. Basically, my job blocks the most innane pointless to block websites, and some that should be blocked arent. Anyways, I like to read the news and browse forums here and there during downtime, and over the years they have blocked more and more. I used to use web proxies, and eventually logmein to access my home PC, but those got blocked over the years too.

So I am looking either for an app, that allows me to access my phone, from my PC, through my web browser or a program, to use my phone like a webtop, but from my PC. But still allowing me to use my PC (not just hooking the monitor to the phone).

OR

An app that lets me turn my phone into a portable web proxy server, that I can access over the internet on my PC, and use my phones data to browse the web.

Before you judge, everyone here uses the internet including the bosses and they dont care, and I only use it in my downtime which we have a lot of. It's a 3rd party company that runs our firewall/internet blocker, so our employer doesn't even pick which sites get blocked, it's just a standard from this 3rd party company. I've bypassed it for 8+ years now and no one has cared. I just need to find a new method of doing it, and going through my phone/using my phones data would probably be the easiest.

I thought about doing that, but my job is on an internal network. I need that network active always, cannot disconnect to switch to wifi dongle.

Now if there is a way, to keep my internal network active, and have another browser, like say firefox, and have it so firefox uses the wifi, and everything else still stays on the internal network, and they can be used simultaneously, then that would work pretty sweet actually. Any idea if this is doable?

In fact there is public wifi in the building next door, and we get signal over here. I could just use their wifi even on the usb dongle, and cut out the droid all together.

Upvote 0
I just did a little more research, and I don't think that would be a useable option. I don't want to start messing with network stuff here, or that could potentially cause problems and get me in trouble. Way more than just browsing through the internet to my phone, which if its accessible through a website in a browser, they don't care. So I need to find a way to remote in to my phone and use its browser, or as I said before, make my phone a proxy server.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones