• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

using phone internet on my lap top

can somepne please tell me how to use internet threw my phone for my lap top (Wen it actually works) I have been told to go on to teething on my phone wen i plug in usb which i do, then i go to internet explored on my lap top and comes up page cant load no internet? need instructions simple stupid please on where and what i have to put in maybe on my lap top im using xp on lap top and have a htc desire phone?...cheers people x

Hi again sorry mike ok i have just gone to settings,wireless & networks bit scrolled down to bottom where it says usb tethering and its shaded grey :thinking: i cant click on it??? what is that all about??

oh hang on ....comes up with found new hardware wizard and is scanning for ADP? on lap top cant find necessary software

Upvote 0
OK, Just got home and connected up, you do not need HTC Sync for this to work.

All on the phone

Step 1 - Settings > Connect to PC > Default Connection Type - Select USB Tethering
Step 2- Connect Phone via USB
Step 3 - Settings > Wireless & Networks > USB Tethering (Now Available)

Once select a you should get a pop up on the pc saying new network detected (at least I do on a Mac)

This was posted using the above and no HTC Sync installed on Mac

Step 1 can be repeated and changed depending on your needs.

Hope this helps

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones