1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

using phone internet on my lap top

1. krazyfreckles

krazyfreckles Member

can somepne please tell me how to use internet threw my phone for my lap top (Wen it actually works) I have been told to go on to teething on my phone wen i plug in usb which i do, then i go to internet explored on my lap top and comes up page cant load no internet? need instructions simple stupid please on where and what i have to put in maybe on my lap top im using xp on lap top and have a htc desire phone?...cheers people x

Advertisement
  2. MikeC1408

MikeC1408 Well-Known Member

Once you have plugged the phone into the PC via USB have you gone to

Settings > Wireless & Networks and enabled USB Tethering?
    krazyfreckles likes this.
  3. krazyfreckles

krazyfreckles Member

Sorry hun is the above i need to do on the phone or my laptop?
  4. MikeC1408

Sorry didn't make that very clear did I :eek:, it's on the phone.
  5. krazyfreckles

krazyfreckles Member

Hi again sorry mike ok i have just gone to settings,wireless & networks bit scrolled down to bottom where it says usb tethering and its shaded grey :confused: i cant click on it??? what is that all about??

oh hang on ....comes up with found new hardware wizard and is scanning for ADP? on lap top cant find necessary software
  6. EddyOS

EddyOS Well-Known Member

Just enable wifi hotspot and connect laptop to phone over wireless (mine has USB tethering greyed out too, has always been that way)
  7. krazyfreckles

krazyfreckles Member

Yep tried all that, cant use internet threw my phone for laptop...just adds to all the other problems orange are having and the customers they are losing because of it!....I will be following thanx anyway ..clare x
  8. Stucky

Stucky Well-Known Member

You need to load HTC Sync onto your laptop - the laptop doesn't know what your phone is until you do. HTC Sync is on the disk that came with the phone or can be downloaded here... HTC Desire - Software Download
  9. MikeC1408

OK, Just got home and connected up, you do not need HTC Sync for this to work.

All on the phone

Step 1 - Settings > Connect to PC > Default Connection Type - Select USB Tethering
    Step 2- Connect Phone via USB
    Step 3 - Settings > Wireless & Networks > USB Tethering (Now Available)

Once select a you should get a pop up on the pc saying new network detected (at least I do on a Mac)

This was posted using the above and no HTC Sync installed on Mac

Step 1 can be repeated and changed depending on your needs.

Hope this helps