• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Using Phone Mic with Bluetooth Car Stereo

slheinlein

Lurker
Sep 26, 2010
I just installed a Alpine car stereo with bluetooth and paired it with my Droid X. When a call comes in, my music stops and can answer the call fine by pressing the button on my stereo. However, the person can't hear anything I say. It appears the phone mic is disabled when paired with my stereo.

The stereo came with a wired mic and visor clip but I dont want to have to plug in the wired mic to my phone everytime I want to use the phone. Sort of defeats the purpose of handsfree.

Is there a way to simply use my phone mic while using Bluetooth paired with my stereo? Thanks.

I'll be watching this thread because I just chose to not purchase my stereo's optional mic. I rarely answer the phone in the car, but it'd be nice to be able to do so without pulling apart the dash and mounting a mic somewhere, especially since my phone mount is practically in front of my face, meaning the phone mic is more aptly positioned than any external mic that I'd install.

Upvote 0
AFAIK, once the bluetooth device is paired with the phone, the phone mic and speaker are disabled. I don't believe there is a way to enable only one of them to work.

I know what you mean about the stereo. I just bought a full screen unit as well with BT and external mic. The instructions were to put the mic on the visor or such and run the wire. Not going to happen. I plugged the mic in the back of the unit and ran it to a position that was virtually impossible to see, behind a vented access panel (not vent). Yes, that spot is closer to my lap than my mouth, but I haven't received any complaints.

Upvote 0
They're definitely disabled, but it's only a software-disable so I can't imagine why an app/hack couldn't be written to enable the phone's mic again.

I could suck it up and install the mic, I've just been lazy. There are spots for me to mount it without running wires all the way up to my visor. Just seems silly when the phone is on a mount in such an ideal location.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones