Using phone while charging?Support

1. redravenxo

redravenxo Active Member

Just wondering if it's okay to use my phone while it's charging. I think the User Guide said somewhere that one shouldn't make calls while charging, though I can't find that exact info again atm. I can avoid making calls while charging, but what about incoming calls? Or doing other random things?

I used my old phone while charging quite often & it's lasted just fine for years, though that was a pretty low-tech phone.

Since my cell is my only phone, occasionally I need to have it available even though it needs to be charged. I've played games & such a bit while it was charging without issues, but I am wondering if that's actually okay & about the phone call thing mentioned above. Thanks - O

Advertisement
    :
  2. adam97202

adam97202 Well-Known Member

I use mine while charging without problems. Only problem is the cord doesn't stay in very well.
  3. greg4android

greg4android Well-Known Member

I use mine all the time while charging . . . it just takes longer to charge.
    (and an extension cord).

4. melim

melim Disabled

I do it all the time too, but we're all apparently putting ourselves in grave danger, because it does say this in the user guide, pg2, Important Safety Precautions:

:eek:

If you don't hear from me for a while, it'll be because I electrocuted myself and burnt the house down.
  5. MacFett

MacFett Well-Known Member

I think the main problem with using it while charging is the phone gets hot during use & the phone gets hot while charging. The phone gets really hot during use while charging, then stick it next to your face...
  6. JerryScript

JerryScript Well-Known Member

Buy a set of the $10 china replacement batteries from ebay with 2 batteries and a charger, and you'll never have your phone plugged in again! You do have to power down once a day to change the battery, but I find that less of a hassle than having to plug it in, and you always have a spare battery charged and ready to go.
  7. melim

melim Disabled

Hmm, non-OEM batteries in the phone all the time vs. using the phone while it's on the OEM charger. Seems like a tossup... I'll take my chances with the charger. YMMV.
  8. cutterjohn

cutterjohn Well-Known Member

That's my thought as well as some have reported that the el cheapo batteries apparently have no temperature sensor which is bad(TM) in Li based batts... they tend to go into thermal runaway at the drop of a hat...
  9. greg4android

I am using using my phone today while its charging, Voice and Data......
    I don't think it matters, or something would have already happened to mine.
  10. Thorsten

Thorsten Well-Known Member

Apart from the sheer hassle of constantly swapping batteries (what, once or twice a day?), I'd be concerned of eventually wearing out whatever keeps the back cover securely attached to the phone. I mean, there is no locking mechanism of any type
  11. greg4android

Only small tiny plastic clipping into a metal groove on the phone.

12. MacFett

MacFett Well-Known Member

13. bdfull3r

bdfull3r Active Member

it shouldn't matter if you use the phone while it is charger, the only concern i can see is overheating. Phone's get really warm when charging and/or when you are making calls or doing data extensive tasks. Massive heat for long periods can weaken or damage the processor

Off topic a little, with my optimus when it is charging some times the touchscreen goes glitchy, it works fine when i remove the charger though.
  14. redravenxo

redravenxo Active Member

Wow, lots of replies here. Glad to hear light usage while charging shouldn't be a big issue. Thanks all! I suppose I could pick up a spare battery at some point, just in case, but don't think I'd trust the cheapie ones or want to swap around on a regular basis.

*snort* I haven't actually had a call come in during charging yet, so... yeah... If I disappear, nice knowing ya'll & thanks for the help. :p
  15. OverBoard

OverBoard Well-Known Member

By chance are you using a non-branded or cheap charger? I've seen some people complain about similar symptoms with cheap chargers.

Did a fair amount of reading up about spare chargers and found that the Motorola SPN5504 wall charger, about $4 shipped on Amazon, works well with the OV. It's highly rated, is detected as AC charger by the OV, and is a bit more compact than the LG OEM :D.

For car chargers, I found the Motorola SPN5400, also ~$4 shipped/Amazon to be really good for the same reasons above.

These newer type of OEM chargers have the USB Data +/- pins 'shorted' to each other, to let the phone know that it is connected to a USB port that can supply more than 500mAh, so they are detected as 'AC' and charge the phone faster.
  16. gradiver

gradiver Member

The other morning my new OV was dead and needed to charge all day. Expecting an important call I activated bluetooth, got my hands free device from my car and carried it around the house with me. Was able to answer calls without picking up the phone.
  17. syav

syav Well-Known Member

I use my my phone often while charging. My only concern is overheating. I stop using my phone while charging when the temp is above 100