using phones internet on PC

Last Updated:

1. geepod

geepod New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi Guys,

I have the google nexus one and a linux based pc (ubuntu specifically).

I am travelling to the Uk soon and wont have a WIFI connection there but will have unlimited internet on my phone. I want to use my phone as my internet connection.

I understand there is PDAnet available but it is for Windows, does anyone know how i can use my nexus internet connection on linux using pdanet or any other similar application ?

thanks

Advertisement
  2. mudrock1000

mudrock1000 Well-Known Member

Are you rooted? If not I'd try a google search with the terms tethering android Linux and see what comes up. Idk enough about linux to help but if you are on a laptop and you use wireless tethering, then you could plug a cord into your laptop in and just use wired tethering or wireless, if the wired tether for root isn't linux ready.

3. cyberbob25

cyberbob25 Well-Known Member

Wired tether with cyanogen roms works right out of the box with ubuntu, without having to compile/install anyhting. I have used both it and wifi tether extensively with my ubuntu laptop.

OP, I haven't really researched since I planned to root my phone before I even got it, but I know of no other way to tether your phone to a linux laptop than to root your device. I highly suggest using the latest version of cyanogenmod...you won't go wrong.

4. geepod

got it sorted without root and running the risk of screwing with my phone.

I downloaded proxoid (takes 2 secs onto phone) turn it on, plus phone into usb cradle.

download and unpack the Android SDK folder, create a file with a simple entry in it.

then run the daemon for forwarding to proxy from terminal

and away i am with tethering without root on linux.

By the way most the articles i see say proxoid wont allow you to do HTTPS, well all you do in firefox is set your http proxy to 8080 and localhost and your ssl to the same then you can browse any site you like through your phone.

cheers guys but i have it sorted now and working like a dream

5. daffyduck

daffyduck Well-Known Member

Be very careful doing this on your home country SIM, as your unlimited data plan will almost certainly not apply abroad. There have been horror stories of people in the UK travelling to Europe & racking up huge bills (in the hundreds/thousands of

6. geepod

already thought of that, i am with T mobile and they want $15 per mb, extortionate !

so i got them to unlock my phone and my bought a UK sim online good for 30 days with unlimited internet all for what wouldbe about $50.

also includes unlimted sms and calls to US, so my trip commnuication is sorted ;-)

7. daffyduck

daffyduck Well-Known Member

Sorted then :)