1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

Using phones wifi on laptopSupport

1. shazzydoosh

shazzydoosh New Member

Hi,

This may seem strange, but I am wondering if it is possible to use the phones wifi connection onmy laptop via a tether. I understand that you can tether to a laptop and use the 3G./GPRS etc, but I want to use the WiFi. This is because my contract gets me free unlimited WiFi from thousands of publec hotspots, and if I have my laptop, I want to use the service, but its on;y for the phone. Would I be able to do this with tethering to a standard Galaxy s running 2.2?

any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Advertisement
  2. android_c

android_c New Member

Hi! Please do let me know as well if u have found a solution.regards.
  3. pietjuhhh1990

pietjuhhh1990 Well-Known Member

uisb connect an use as modem
  4. Smithy-II

Smithy-II Member

If it is a public hotspot would it not be free on your laptop anyway? I know in NZ and Aus places like McDonalds, Starbucks and some airports have free WiFi no matter what you are using.
  5. justiyad

justiyad Well-Known Member

No some Mobile networks offer you free wifi if you use it on the phone, not on any other device.
  6. seepage

seepage Well-Known Member

Settings- wireless and network- mobile AP.
    Does exactly what you want.I often use it.
    Usb tethering would do the same but you would have to carry a cable around.
  7. justiyad

justiyad Well-Known Member

The mobile AP you can only share the Mobile data with laptops, he wants to share the Wifi with a computer.
  8. seepage

seepage Well-Known Member

You can use it with anything with WiFi. I only see mention of a laptop in the original post.