Using ridiculous data

Last Updated:

1. LSUSOBEAST

LSUSOBEAST Member This Topic's Starter

This is the first month I have had my captivate. In less than 10 days, I have already surpassed my highest data month EVER when I had my iPhone. Granted, I am using it a little bit more because it's a new toy, but overall not THAT much more.

Are there any default programs that use a ton of data in the background?

Help!

Advertisement
  2. Graceflanger

Graceflanger Well-Known Member

I've had the phone for 3 weeks and I'm already at 900Mb.

3. Autolysis

Autolysis Well-Known Member

How can you check the data usage?

4. llessur

llessur Active Member

You can download the official ATT app and I think there is an unofficial one on the market as well. I think it even has a widget. Just can't remember the name of it.

5. sparker366

sparker366 Well-Known Member

LOL well I have the unlimited data plan and as of today I have used 100mb. I had a 3g before this but I am surprised at how little I have used. I know I use wifi mostly when I am home so that contributes a great deal to low usage.

6. chicknlil

chicknlil Well-Known Member

The official AT&T app is AT&T myWireless Mobile.
    The unofficial app is 3G Watchdog.

For the people with high data usage - are you running on wifi when available?

I've used 43.39 MB with 11 days left in my billing cycle.

Autolysis likes this.
  7. cbk.o4

cbk.o4 Member

^^ beat me

8. Blackforge

Blackforge Well-Known Member

The question is what are you "doing" exactly. A little over a month ago when I still had an iPhone my data usage doubled after iOS4 came out (from 700MB+ to 1400MB+). I am up to 930MB at the moment with 6 days left on my billing cycle. For me this is predominantly from streaming audio (Pandora). Seems normal to me. Actually seems a little less data intensive at the moment, and this is after switching Captivates and reinstalling all of my apps (only about 70MB worth). This is even with keeping WiFi from being put to sleep with the display as well.

9. Vee

Vee Well-Known Member

I'm on day 10 and have used 126.19 MB so far.

10. Jiggles

Jiggles Member

Had it for 3 weeks, 15mb of data. L2wifi guys

11. myrv

myrv Well-Known Member

Hrm, I am not noticing any more usage than normal. About the same really as my 3GS used. You might want to check and see if you have any apps accessing data in the background.

On a different note, wow! How do some of you guys only use such a tiny trickle of data? I know my usage is extreme and I won't even bother posting it, though if it weren't for the unlimited plan being grandfathered I would have swapped carriers. However, less than 50MB on a smartphone seems unreal to me over the course of a month.

12. chicknlil

chicknlil Well-Known Member

In a word: Wifi.

:D

13. Sjla2kology101

Sjla2kology101 Active Member

I have 10 days left and I've used about 1600mb.... Granted I dint have wifi at the moment and use my phone like crazy..

14. noc

noc Well-Known Member

On day 4 with 13.5 MB used. I've been home most of the time though, and I'm always on wifi. I will usually be on wifi when I get back to college, so I can't see myself using anywhere near 2 gb at the end of the month.

It's kinda funny though, that some people either over-use or under-use their data. I'd say try to be natural with it and see where you end up. I personally don't use pandora radio or anything because I carry around my ipod touch with loaded music, but that's personal preference. You shouldn't feel 'limited' with your phone. If you do, then you're probably on the wrong plan!

15. zeezz

zeezz Member

easy way to check - dial *3282# and you'll get a text. I've used 140MB in 4 days.