Using Scenes to improve your Hero experience

Last Updated:

1. Spacemonkey

Spacemonkey Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

On its day, the Hero is (IMO) one of the very best phones around. But sometimes it requires some thought as to how to make it perform the best and therefore get the most out of it.

So, after my latest bout of battery issues (gratefully resolved by HTC Support) I've decided to start making use of Scenes. My thinking is that by only enabling/running the apps and widgets relevant to each scene, I should be able to reduce lag and maximise performance. And this surely must be one of the biggest advantages over other phones.

Scenes set up so far include Work, Social and Sport - can't really think of any others needed. But already I'm noticing the phone is tighter and more responsive.

So, a couple of questions:

1) Who else is using Scenes and how are you finding it? What would you recommend?

2) Do settings (altered in one Scene) carry across to other Scenes? Or does each Scene have its own independent settings?

Cheers
    SM

Advertisement
  2. jim_h

jim_h Well-Known Member

Hi SM,

I'd guess scenes and how they are used will have quite an impact on performance and battery (my fave topic at the moment hehe).

I started with all seven screens filled with apps and widgets I didn't end up using much. So, now I just have three screens in use.

One for day to day app shortcuts, small versions of the weather and clock widgets and a folder with games and another with system apps.

The second screen has a calendar widget, but I'm thinking of getting rid of this one too.

The third has around six more shortcuts and the 4x1 event widget (the one showing the next two days events from the calendar), but that's it.

Other than that, I don't use scenes much. I think with a faster cpu and more available memory, I'd probably use them all, but I'm a bit obsessed with maintaining speed on the Hero at the moment.

Well, that's me. I'm interested in reading about how other people use theirs.

All the best,
    Jim

3. Quazar

Quazar Well-Known Member

I don't use scenes, I have 2 screens (either side of home) with shortcuts, then a bookmark large widget on one side, and an email widget on the other side. Simple and its all I need

4. Hrochnick

Hrochnick Well-Known Member

I use two scenes:weekend and work. They are essentially the same with the major difference being that the weekend one doesn't have my work email or calendar/agenda displayed :)

5. Spacemonkey

Spacemonkey Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm experimenting with doing away with unnecessary widgets and stuffing screens full of apps. It's too easy to populate every single bit of space, and I guess that can contribute to overall performance. Hence a bit of a de-clutter is going on.

6. AstroDonut

AstroDonut Well-Known Member

I use the scenes... When I go to visit my mother, I use a scene that doesn't have the semi naked ladies as the wallpaper ;-)

7. jezperrott

jezperrott Member

I have scenes, but it annoys me that if you change anything, when you swap, you have to re-save.

8. crucian

crucian New Member

I have a few scenes 1. Everyday Scene - Day to Day 2. Travel Scene - Weather, Where App, Points of Interest App etc. 3. FD Scene (when i'm at work) - Medical Dictionary, contacts (guys at the fd), work email etc.

All 7 screens aren't filled on my scenes either, just seems like a lot to keep track of and a lot to slow your Hero down

9. alinver

alinver Well-Known Member

Sorry in advance for hijacking this thread a little.

Is it possible to delete your own scenes? I made the mistake of saving a lot of them when I first got the phone and now I have loads of them, it makes it tricky when you make a new one and want to rename it, I already have home1,2,3,4 travel1, 2, 3, ect ect.

Cheers Al

10. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Settings >> Personalise >> Scenes and then longpress to rename/delete :)

alinver likes this.
  11. alinver

alinver Well-Known Member

Thanks Xtiro, this is one of the reasons I like this place, very friendly helpful people.:eek:

Cheers Al