Using slide-out keyboard coming from iPhoneSupport

Last Updated:

1. BBOOZE

BBOOZE Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi I'm contemplating pulling the plug on my iPhone 4 and am looking at this T-Mobile G2 as a potential replacement. I've never had a phone with slide-out keyboard but I went to the T-Mobile store yesterday and tried out a mytouch and found the slide-out keyboard to be nearly impossible to use. Horrible. I'm just wondering if this is the way of the world for these kinds of keyboards, in which case I might have to look at another option.

Any other good Android phones at T-Mobile?

Advertisement
  2. Eazail70x7

Eazail70x7 Well-Known Member

try some other keyboard phones out while you wait for the g2. That's what id do

3. Lobsterj

Lobsterj New Member

Just wondering, any particular reason why you want to ditch the iPhone?

Also I would wait until the phone is out in stores to play with before you pre order or anything, gonna be a few weeks until it comes out anyway.

4. cigar3tte

cigar3tte Well-Known Member

It's not like the G2 doesn't have a soft keyboard option.

5. ashykat

ashykat Well-Known Member

You don't need to use the physical keyboard if you don't like it, but I actually think the mytouch slide keyboard is one of the best. You may be better suited for something like the Vibrant which has a big screen which makes the on screen keyboard very easy to use.

6. BBOOZE

Personally, I think Android-based phones will be the better option going forward. As of now, us iPhone users are beholden to whatever King Steve deems is worthy to be included in each version's release. I have not jumped on the Android bandwagon because I didn't like the functionality but with version 2.2 it seems the gap has closed considerably. Plus, with different manufacturers developing Android devices I think the competition will be good for innovation and keeping prices reasonable.

I can sell my iPhone 4 for probably $600 and buy any Android device full price for no more than $500. Seems like the time to do this swap is now.

7. Autosuggestion

Autosuggestion Well-Known Member

I sold mine on eBay for $650 and pre-ordered the G2 for $499.

8. kaze0

kaze0 Active Member

Don't forget that T-Mobile stores only have nonfunctional demo devices and the keyboards on them are not indicative of the real thing. Although, maybe the stores on the East coast don't have real phones but other states do, then ignore this if you touched a real MyTouch Slide.

9. pantlesspenguin

pantlesspenguin Well-Known Member

Since you're coming from an iPhone 4, I definitely echo the sentiment that the Vibrant could be the device for you at the moment. I absolutely love mine. The only problem is that the GPS is a little iffy @ the moment, but there are fixes for it coming down the pipe.

10. SamsungVibrant

SamsungVibrant Well-Known Member

I would say wait till the Vibrant gets a guaranteed GPS fix. Then and only then get the vibrant. I've had android phones with Keyboard, the MTS. I was soooo worried about getting a phone w/o a physical keyboard. I can tell you, after using the virtual keyboard on the Vibrant's 4 inch screen, I WILL NEVER get a phone with a physical keyboard ever again. Not only do I type faster on the virtual keyboard thanks to the awesome response of the Super Amoled, it also makes the phone feel as light as a feather.

I still want the G2, just so I can mess around with HSPA+

11. Sungmurai7

Sungmurai7 Active Member

With any keyboard it takes some getting use to and this one is pretty easy to pick up. The Chicklet buttons are large enough and are spaced decently. The keyboard is great to have but I use Swype for everything. I was coming from an iPhone as well.

12. BBOOZE

I've tried to use Swype a bit but I can't get stuff down like doing double letters. It's pretty neat.

13. Sungmurai7

Sungmurai7 Active Member

I hear ya, I'm blessed with average sized fingers so it's not a problem for me haha. Keep at it because Swype is pretty accurate when it comes to word prediction. Also, it has settings where you can adjust the speed vs accuracy.

14. pantlesspenguin

pantlesspenguin Well-Known Member

In case you didn't know, for double letters you just need to wiggle your finger on the letter before moving on. Swype's cool...but I can only use it for a couple days until I get frustrated w/ it again.