• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Using Task Killer and Memory issues

Mattza

Jun 21, 2010
Ok I don't know if this is a problem or not but, when I turn on my phone I open up Advanced Task Killer and it says I have around 200-220 memory available.

After using it for a day or so using the task killer to close apps. My memory keeps getting lower and lower, after about 1 full day it's around 100 available memory, then next day gets even lower.

Is this normal? Because I have to keep turning my phone off every few days to get it running back to normal speed.

You should restart your phone ONLY if free ram drops under 30-40mb (which does not really happens if you use a task killer app). There is no noticeable slowdown until those values.

P.S. I recommend using a Task killer app only if you know how to use it (ex: if you kill the clock your alarms will be disabled so you should be aware of the implication of killing every app).

Upvote 0
Why the obsession with how much RAM you have free? Why do you see it as a problem that android is using the phones RAM? The Desire never slows down due to of lack of RAM. When you leave an application it is frozen, the app is left in memory so you can reopen it quickly. Example, browsing the net then switching to read and email then going back to the browser, it's quick and seamless. If android needs memory for any reason it will close what it considers the most suitable app. Constantly closing apps with a task killer is a waste of time. The only use I have for a task killer is to close fotmob as it sometimes gets stuck and needs to be closed and restarted.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones