Using the Droid X in the U.K.Support

Last Updated:

1. droidros

droidros Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I will be in the U.K. next week for 10 days, and will be borrowing a Blackberry from Verizon because I can't use the Droid X for making/receiving phone calls. However, I am wondering whether I can use it at all to access Internet services, except for hooking into to a wi-fi hotspot? I will miss my apps a lot if I can't use them while I'm away!

Advertisement
  2. jreed2560

jreed2560 Well-Known Member

Verizon uses the same network for data as it does for calls. If you can't make calls, how else would you use data other than wifi?

3. droidros

Magic? :D

jreed2560 likes this.
  4. jreed2560

hahahahaha thats awesome....

5. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

Unfortunately you'd need a phone compatible with the local carrier networks in the U.K. It's one of the unfortunate downsides to being on a CDMA network...

6. jreed2560

I wonder if LTE will bring about a more globalized standard that the US will adapt

7. droidros

Yeah. But at least Verizon does offer the Global Program and will give you a loaner Blackberry, which is compatible with both networks. (Before, when I just had a cell phone, they loaned me a Motorola Z-something that was also compatible.) I don't really understand why Motorola doesn't provide that with their Droid lineup.

It occurred to me after the fact that had I got a Droid Incredible, I could get a free phone. At the time, I didn't see the need for another phone since I don't have anybody to give it to, but I guess I could have gotten a Blackberry for traveling abroad.

Happy with my X though. I Originally got the Droid 2 and traded it in for the X. Haven't regretted it. I don't miss the keyboard because I find Swype quite easy to use.

8. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

This is very true! And with the upcoming world phones there should be additional options on the horizon...

9. dylo22

dylo22 Well-Known Member

Chances are we're going to use different frequencies from other parts of the world. Sort of like what how GSM/UMTS is now.

10. wxman2003

wxman2003 Well-Known Member

That's why I kept my unlocked Blackberry Storm. It aint worth much, but after I unlocked it, I can use it basically anywhere in the world.

11. droidros

I tried the Blackberry Storm for a while when I upgraded last time. The touch keyboard was just terrible - it would take me forever because I hit more wrong keys than right ones. So in the end I decided that I didn't need data services that badly and just went with a non-smart phone - LG Dare.