Using the N1 without a SIM

Last Updated:

1. Faber

Faber Active Member This Topic's Starter

I did a search and it didn't seem to turn up anything. If I'm wrong, please don't shoot me.

Anyway, I just bought the N1 (got it in the mail yesterday) and I have to wait until next week to get my phone service activated (gf's contract hasn't expired yet, we're getting a family-plan, etc....). I downloaded the Skype client, got my Google Voice account set up, etc.. and I can't seem to be able to figure out how to use those services with my WIFI. Is such a thing possible? I can *see* my contacts on Skype but it says I can't call. Same with using Google Voice to send SMS messages. Is there just some stupid setting that I'm overlooking or am I doomed to not be able to use any of these functions until I have phone service?

Advertisement
  2. Who Cares?

Who Cares? Well-Known Member

Google voice has a setting that need to be enabled that allows the phone to use Google voice as a phone.

3. Who Cares?

Who Cares? Well-Known Member

Go into Google voice then settings button. Press settings? At the dry top is option for making calls. Set that to "Use Google voice to make all calls" that should do the trick