Using the phone with earbuds nuisanceSupport

Last Updated:

1. droid928

droid928 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I got my fascinate yesterday and it's amazing. However, so far there is one thing I noticed that I hope I can get some input on:

I used to have the original Droid and I was able to use the phone while I had my earbuds on. I could talk into the speaker while listening to the other end on earbuds. It was very convenient that I didn't have to take them out when I was listening to music while I got a call or made one.

Now, I found out that with my fascinate I cannot do this. I got a call this morning while I was listening to music and I answered the call with my head phones on. I could hear the other person but the other person couldn't hear me. Then, I had to take out the ear buds and speak on the phone.

Is there a way to work around this or am i stuck doing this from now on?? I really hate the phone mic headphones bc they suck and I love using my current ear buds. Please help! :confused:

Advertisement
  2. Jedii

Jedii Well-Known Member

Strange....i have a pair of the Bose (in ear buds) and Skull Candy. They both work no problem. Also, i tried my iPhone headsets and they work good as well.

What type of headsets are you using? Thats weird that it worked on the Moto, but not the Samsung.

3. droid928

Thanks for responding. You can leave the ear buds in while you talk on the phone, listen to the person on the other end and speak into the microphone on the phone and it works? I could hear the other person but they can't hear me while the ear buds are in. I don't think it matters what kind you use other than ones with a built in mic.

4. Jedii

Jedii Well-Known Member

ohhhh. i see what you are saying now.

Wow. I never even thought of that.

Wish i had a solution, but i have a feeling that its a phone thing.

5. droid928

Yeah, you can't use regular headphones and take calls. It basically forces you use ear buds with an in-line mic if you expect to take calls while listening to music. So, I have to unplug my headphones in order to answer calls, which is pretty ridiculous to me. Grrrr.

6. saps

saps Well-Known Member

Yeah it a Hardware issue, the 3.5mm jack itself; not sure it can be fixed via a software update or not. I think your Droid was more the exception than the rule actually.
    BTW, this thread looks familiar; do you have two of these floating around these parts?

7. Jedii

Jedii Well-Known Member

I think you and i post on every thread together. LOL

Team Saps/Jedii FTW :cool:

8. seanatsb

seanatsb Well-Known Member

9. saps

saps Well-Known Member

Thats what friends do :D

10. Jedii

Jedii Well-Known Member

Okay. I emailed my Samsung rep and reported this **hopefully** bug. He is out of the office until Monday, so no reply over the weekend. As soon as he replies, i will post the email on this thread. Surely there is an easy fix for this.

11. droid928

Thanks for responding and yes I do have two threads bc I didn't know where the proper spot would be. Mods can feel free to delete either one. I posted the same post in the other thread:

I called Samsung and it's a compatibility issue with the head phones. The headphones need to have 3 green lines on the metal part where you plug into the phone. The ones I had have 2 black line so they are not compatible.

Here is what they recommend to use:

Galaxy S Hands Free Headset, Black (3.5mm Stereo) | Samsung Mobile

edit: if you want to buy these type: 'galaxys' for the coupon code and press apply coupon. You will get like $4.50 off. (from $29.99 to $25.49). I was told these cost more outside the website. Not sure about that though.

I'm going to have to do some more research bc I'm not sure of the sound quality of these. Maybe other brands are compatible as well.

So... case closed. :)

saps likes this.
  12. saps

saps Well-Known Member

Good research. I have to imagine any pair of phones with the 3 green lines will do

13. Jedii

Jedii Well-Known Member

Nice. Its gonna be awesome when the Samsung guy emails me back and we already have a solution!

14. droid928

Thanks and yes look for 3 green lines. Now im trying to find some good compatible ear buds.

15. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

I use Audible on my Fascinate to listen to books on my commute to work and home. I have an aux jack on my var stereo that allows me to plug a 3.5 into my device out and 3.5 into my radio. On my droid x, incredible, and iphone I could have it plugged in and hear the call over the car speakers and talk into the device just sitting on the seat.
    I believe that when you plug in the headset (or whatever) to the fascinate it disables the mic on the device. I hope it is a software issue that can be fixed, it is nice to not have to unplug it from the car.
    I am using a set of Samsung earbuds that came with the Captivate I had previously from AT&T.

16. nxsone

nxsone Member

what do the three green lines mean?

17. droid928

I think the 3 green lines means that it's headphones that could take phone calls. I believe it has to do with the headphone jack being used as an inline mic and also for TV out (which the other phones are incapable of). I also read that many popular ear buds with in-line mics made for the iphone are not compatible with the Samsung devices because of the make up of the phone. I was told its a compatibility issue with ear buds, not a software issue.

18. Jeppe

Jeppe New Member

This information exchange isn't over yet guys :) Just signed up so I can share some information.. I bought this one "iPhone Headset to other Cell Phone Headset Jack Adapter - 3.5mm 4 conductor TRRS Male to Female" here: kVconnection.com - Cables and Connectors Audio Video Coaxial Computer Network Electronic
    btw it was shipped VERY fast. Im from Denmark and got in within days even though it says 2-4 weeks of shipping :) Right through the customs since it was cheap enough with postage and everything, damn I hate customs... competetition between ****in nations!! Stop competing ****in dickheads in politics!.. sorry for the sidetracking..

Well this above mentioned cable (and i guess the one that matches its price : Other 3.5mm TRRS Headset to iPhone Compatable Headset Adapter - 3.5mm 4 conductor TRRS Male to Female )
    is able to convert the signal so that you might use your Iphone stuff.. Also this made my 4-pole tv out cable work for SGS tv-out hurra!! :)

Now to take the problem even deeper :) I can't get my phone to send sound through my sennheisers which are connect to a mic+stereo splitter designed for the iphone which is connected to the converter mentioned above.. The really strange thing is that the sound in my sennheisers comes through fine through the adaptor and splitter SteelSeries Mobile Device Adapter (PC): Amazon.co.uk: PC & Video Games when playing music... I would really like to be able to use the seperate splitter for plugging in an external mic i bought, which can be clipped on.

any ideas, could an app be made easily that forces the headset setting on android to activate? That would probably solve it unless there are some wiring details of the mic ground that are wrong.. see wiring here i guess: Samsung Galaxy i9000 headset pinout and wiring @ pinoutsguide.com
    found the link in this discussion though havent read it through: http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s/178465-i9000-3-5mm-tv-out.html

Thats it for now :) Damn, now I only have 45 min to sleep in before I have to wake up.. Let me sleep ****in lame society!! Lets change this world guys.. One collaboration at a time ;)

Edit:
    Somehow the galaxy managed to detect that I had connected the headphoe + mic through the iphone splitter and converter. I was messing around with toggleheadset 1 and 2 for droid 1.5/1.6 and also tried a program which said something about auto headset galaxy vibrant and a lot of the discription was chineese or something. I have uninstalled the apps and it still works so i guess it doesnt have anything to do with them, just a coincidence. But wanted to share anyway. I was messing around while i had a call going to another mobile and I think it is more likely that it was by unplugging and plugging that it happened, but im not sure, it's strange, since I would think that I already tried that lot.
    Anyways this way I can now connect favorite headset of my choice and external mics which is also great for recording voice and video. Of course you could also just use the original headset with built in mic for that purpose.

19. Fascinate805

Fascinate805 New Member

I found this article very informative:
    Earphones: Pin Compatible May Not Mean Electrically Compatible | Boydo's Tech Talk

Basically states the number of rings on the pin wont guarentee the jack will work. For example, the iphone earphones, also with 3 rings, will need a converter since the second and third ring are reversed.

In a nutshell, the iPhone uses the following pinout order:
    • Contact 1: Left audio (tip of the pin),
    • Contact 2: Right audio (first ring after the tip),
    • Contact 3: Ground (second ring after the tip),
    • Contact 4: Microphone (third ring after the tip).
    Conversely, the Samsung Galaxy S uses the following pinout order:
    • Contact 1: Left audio (tip of the pin),
    • Contact 2: Right audio (first ring after the tip),
    • Contact 3: Microphone (second ring after the tip),
    • Contact 4: Ground (third ring after the tip).

20. suXor

suXor Well-Known Member

I have to disagree. I have used the same headsets on iPhone and on other devices, including the Fascinate, and they work the same. Therefore, a difference in the jack would render headsets incompatible between the two. Even stereo headsets wouldn't work right due to the non-standard placement of the ground. Ear jacks are a standard. To change the order of the contacts would be quality suicide.

That being said, the ability to use the built in device microphone or not when a headset without a microphone is up to the OEM. They can choose to detect resistance on the mic circuit and re-route mic input to the headset or leave it on the built in mic.

Now, that being said :), it's more than a software change. There is HW changes needed to manage the switching between the two. More than likely, the HW is design to hard switch when a headset is plugged in and nothing is built in to detect the presence of a mic or not.

21. bezerk19

bezerk19 Well-Known Member

If you are still having this problem I can tell you, this has been fixed with the DJ05 update, this was really annoying to me also, i used this all the time with my Incredible. If you are rooted i suggest you get dj05, otherwise once it comes out it will work beautifully.