Using the terminalSupport

Last Updated:

1. hortstu

hortstu Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok I'm pretty illeterate when it comes to the terminal. I'm using linux so I probably know a little more than the average joe. I've been messing with the terminal emulator to try and get a little more comfortable with it. I've noticed, that inspite of this being a linux system some commands are different or something.

For example "file" doesn't seem to work. I always get permission denied. What are the differences between term emulator and terminal in ubuntu and can I find a tutorial somewhere that will teach me more about using android terminals?

Advertisement
  2. hortstu

OK I've found that apparently the terminal emulator is just a stripped down version of the bourne shell and what I really want is a full on BASH. Anyone know which terminal emulator will give me that?

3. akazabam

akazabam Well-Known Member

You can run bash in a couple of ways:

su -c bash (if you have root)
    /system/bin/bash (if you don't have root, but if run su after this, it will run sh again. This path might be different on your phone/rom)

Unfortunately, the file command is still not available, even with busybox. What specifically are you trying to do? I'm sure we can find a command that does work.

hortstu likes this.
  4. hortstu

Thanks Ak,

At this point it's not so much that I'm trying to do something so much as learn the terminal, get comfortable with it and the different commands in it, and see what it can do. I've been dependant on a GUI for so long I really just want to "grow up and learn to read and write" as they say.

Since this thing is with me for nearly all my working hours I can flip back and forth from the browser to the terminal during any free minutes and learn, experiment, learn, repeat. Seems much more productive than getting better at angry birds. Any suggestions?

5. akazabam

Oh, ok. So, do you already have experience with a unix based command line and just want to see what the phone can do, or are you trying to learn the command line in general, but are using the phone because it's convenient? If it's the latter, I would recommend getting your hands on a dedicated linux box and learning that way. There's a lot you can't do from the phone. If you're just learning what the phone can do from the command line, I'd say just experiment with what you already know. I know you can do most of the basics.

6. hortstu

Yeah I have very little experience with the command line. I have made an effort to use it in the past but it has been a little more than reading, copying, pasting and trying to remember. The phone is a convenient way to practice the line on a regular basis.

My laptop is 100% linux and my desktop is an xp dual boot. I use very little windows anymore unless I jump online from my wife's computer. The problem is I spend so much time away from home and office that I have no way to practice it during downtime... until I found terminal emulator.

I can if I refresh my memory with all the notes I have nearby. I'll try to put more time into it. If anyone comes across any good tutorials specifically for the android terminal I'd be very interested. Or if anyone wants to tell me about their favorite uses for the command line in android this is the thread.

7. akazabam

ls /system/bin for an idea of some available commands. Then just type busybox from the command line to see what you get with that. There is a lot you still can do.

8. akazabam

Ok, I think I have a better solution. Install connectbot on your phone (unless you're already using that as your terminal), and set up an ssh connection to a free public access unix system. I found SDF Public Access UNIX System - Free Shell Account and Shell Access after a quick search. I have not tried it, but it should work. That way, you can still play around with the terminal from you phone, but on a unix system more set up for that sort of thing. You also don't run the risk of breaking your phone. I can confirm, at least, that connectbot works for ssh. I use it for work sometimes. When I get a few minutes, I'll actually try what I've just suggested to see if it really works well.