Using toothpaste to remove a scratch on the screenTips

1. pantlesspenguin

pantlesspenguin Well-Known Member

I got a very shallow scratch on my screen...& because I'm so anal it's bothering me. After some googling...I've read that you can use toothpaste to remove a scratch. I want to hear some opinions on this. Would this be safe to do??

Advertisement
    :
  2. Toothpaste to remove scratches? LOL first time I heard of that. How bad is the scratch? got it how via key or sand grind? Why didn't you just simply use screen protector?
  3. pantlesspenguin

pantlesspenguin Well-Known Member

It's a very shallow scratch. I'm pretty sure a key did it. I usually don't put my phone loose in my purse, but I was running late to my personal training session and my gym pants dont have pockets. All I did was walk up to the gym and walk back to my car and boom, scratch :(.
  4. behold_this

behold_this Well-Known Member

Tooth paste is an abrasive, so it can remove prominent scratches. However, it comes at a cost because being abrasive, it will not produce a clear screen. The prominent scratch will be replaced by micro scratches usually in swirl pattern from buffing the old scratch out. You really should not use toothpaste, brasso, or any other abrasive sometimes used in these "home remedies."
  5. Talderon

Talderon Well-Known Member

I have not only heard of this, but done it.

It is VERY (and I mean VERY) important that you use the right toothpaste.

The ONLY one that I have had work successfully is the ORIGINAL Crest toothpaste. It is just pure paste with nothing added.

What you need to do is get a damp (and I mean BARELY WET) cloth, put a VERY small amount of toothpaste on it and GENTLY rub it over the scratch ALONG the scratch. do NOT go against it or in circles.

Once you have it in there and it is still slightly damp, you need to let it set until it is completely dry.

Once dry, use a DRY CLOTH towel to rub the extra toothpaste off and see how it looks.

I am very anal about my screens as well.

Hope this helps.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
  6. erakat1

erakat1 New Member

I have a little scratch that is only noticeable when viewed at a certain angle under a bright light. But nonetheless, it is there and it is really bothering me because I don't know how it got there. I have a leather HTC carrying case and have been babying the phone since I got it 3 weeks ago. Will this take care of the scratch? Thanks!
  7. Talderon

Talderon Well-Known Member

Yes, just be VERY careful to not use too much AND make sure it is dry ALL the way before you buff it out. I normally do mine before bed and wake up and take care of it.

The best placed to find the Original Crest toothpaste is at Target or Wall Mart or other stores like it in the "Travel" or Sample bins. Should only run you a Dollar or so from there and that way you don't have a giant tube laying around.
    erakat1 likes this.