Using Toshiba Thrive as a monitor for my smartphone?Support

1. Jennafur

Jennafur New Member

OK, so I am about to take a trip and I will be stuck in the car for quite some time. My smartphone, Samsung Fascinate, has 3G but my Toshiba Thrive tablet does not. So is it possible to hook them up with a cord or something so that way I can watch Netflixand what not on a larger screen?

Advertisement
  2. jlb0305

jlb0305 Well-Known Member

Not sure its possible. You may be able to rig something: possible options are.

Option a) wifi tether on you phone

For tether, you can pay your provider (most are like $30 - $50/mo) or root or there is a non-root tether but it doesn't work on all phones.

Option b) a router in your car - of which some how your phone would have to simulataneously connect to wifi and 3G (unlikely). then use a media streaming app, remote desktop, or sharing to stream to tablet.

Option c) is to have a laptop and power converter to charge said laptop- then use like PDA net or something for internet on the laptop and connectify to broadcast a hotspot to thrive... with unknown service quality in the end.

Option d) buy a pair of the video glasses that make video from media devices look like a 47" screen.

no matter which option none are free or easy.
  3. turbomentor

turbomentor Well-Known Member

If you have a rooted phone you can use your phone as a WiFi hotspot. Your Thrive however, won't connect to the Ad-hoc network that your phone then creates. So you will then need to root your Thrive and ensure that the ad-hoc patch is installed. You will then be able to tether your Thrive to your phone, and will be able to surf at whatever speed 3G can give you. I wouldn't think that 3G would be sufficient for a lot of web stuff, and probably not for streaming but I really don't know.

I just recently, got my Thrive. My phone was already rooted, but it took no time to root my Thrive and get it connected on to my phone's 4G WiFi hotspot. I was getting 12 Mbps+ upload and 6 Mbps download. Not the greatest, but good enough to do what I needed to do.