• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help using transform as a modem?

Is there any way to use the transform as a tethered modem for a pc? This is my first android phone and I've just switched to sprint from att&t. I've had samsung phones for a long time and usually use the samsung pc studio to set up a dial in connection, but neither version I've downloaded will even connect to the transform, and I've tried using pda net and easy tether, neither of which have worked for me. Any help would be certainly appreciated, because whether or not I can figure out how to use this phone as a modem is going to partially determine if I stick with sprint or try another carrier I can do this with(I've already gotten a tmobile g2 to work with pda net, but sprint plans are cheaper so if at all possible.....yeah)

Upvote 0
As an update, I decided to give PDANet a try. Got it working on bluetooth tether to my Win7 netbook and eliminated the need to carry a cable. Here's how:

Go to PdaNet -- USB Tether/Bluetooth DUN for Android and download the file (PdaNetA245.exe) to the computer you want to tether. You will need a USB cable to connect the phone to the computer during installation of the program file. Set your Transform for USB debugging (Settings>Applications>Development>USB debugging). Open PdaNetA245.exe and follow the instructions. Part of the installation will install the app on the phone.

Once installed open the PdaNet app on the Transform and click "Enable USB Tether". You should now be able to tether via cable.

To enable bluetooth tether, disable USB debugging and enable DUN (Settings>Wireless & networks>Dial Up Networking). Pair the phone with the computer. Check the properties sheet for the phone under bluetooth devices and make sure the check box for "Dial-up networking (DUN)" on the Services tab is checked. Now disable "Dial Up Networking" on the phone and open the PdaNet app. If you have a button to "Turn Off PdaNet" on the screen, turn it off, then click the "Enable Bluetooth DUN" button. You should then be able to tether via bluetooth.

This worked for me on my netbook and was exactly what I have been looking to accomplish for years with my previous phone. I was so happy I bought the full (paid) version currently on special for $15.95. YMMV.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones