Using USB OTG (No Rooting)Support

1. Corey Bryant

Corey Bryant VIP Member VIP Member

I have a Nexus 7 16G and right now I have attached a flash drive to the unit. From reading everything, it says I can use Es FileExplorer and get to /sdcard/usbStorage/sda1 - however, I cannot get to this folder. When I click on the /sdcard/ - I get clear history.

I tried using my Bluetooth keyboard to type, but that did not work.

Everything I have read speaking about rooting the device, which I do not want to do. How can I get to this folder?

The Media Importer screen does not work either.

Thank you!

Advertisement
  2. xmr405o

xmr405o Well-Known Member

Hi Corey!

Let me move this to the N7 sub forum. You'll probably get a more specific answer over there.

Have a good one!
  3. johncf

johncf Well-Known Member

you need this from the market "Nexus Media Importer" it allows the dongle to be mounted without rooting, its not free though, and ive not used it as im rooted and use stickmount.

but a quick look on the tinterwebs shows people use this
  4. strollin

strollin Well-Known Member

Even with the "Nexus Media Importer" app loaded you won't be able to browse the files on the flash drive with ES File Explorer. The only way to access the files on the flash drive is thru the app's interface.

I believe that if you want to be able to browse the file system on the flash drive you will need to root and use the Stickmount app.
  5. robf1234

robf1234 Member

hi i have the "Nexus Media Importer and otg and everything else nothing will stream from a usb pen drive ?
  6. Corey Bryant

I returned the items to MicroCenter and ordered (both) of the products recommended by the article from the "Android Police" to see if that helps.

In the meantime, I will probably use Dropbox / Google Drive or my own FTP until that comes and then post on if it works.
  7. R Deep Singh

R Deep Singh Well-Known Member

Please let us know how you get on, I've been trying to get this to work for ages aswell!
  8. Corey Bryant

I will. Plus I am using the MiMedia. They have great plans - 250G for $99.00 a year and 7G for free.
  9. Corey Bryant

I got it today. Plugged it up and when I plugged in a USB drive, the Nexus Media Importer started and I was able to see my files.
  10. cnote75

cnote75 New Member

@Corey, Can you please tell me what two products you are referring to?
  11. Corey Bryant

I got a couple of these: SANOXY Micro USB Host Mode OTG Cable Flash Drive SD T-Flash Card Adapter FOR Samsung GT-i9100 i9100 Galaxy S II 2 GT-N7000 Galaxy Note/ I already had the Nexus Media installed and once I plugged it in with an SD card, Nexus Media took over.

I have not figured out how to copy files yet, but with the FX program, I can easily upload / download files as well.

I saw somewhere that the 16GB was getting cheaper, making some people think that a 32GB was coming out. But it does not really matter now. I have more than enough room thanks to FX. It connects to Box, Sugarsync, DropBox, Google Drive, SkyDrive. And then I have MiMedia.