• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Using Voice Search to make Phone Calls

Hi all,

got my Desire yesterday and had the same problems as above. I have been trying everything today but I have found a solution which I hope works for you all -

If you didn't import your contacts as google mail linked type, then you'll have to re-import. If you did, skip to step 4.

1) The easiest way is to firstly export all your contacts to the SD card people>menu>import/export>export to sd card.

2) Next delete all the contacts on the phone
people>menu>delete>menu>select all>delete

3) Next reimport all the contacts from the SD card
people>menu>import/export>import from sd card.

It will give you the option to save as a google contact and this is the one you want.

4) Sync your phone to google. Go to home>menu>settings>accounts and sync>google account>sync now

5) If you have synced you contacts correctly to google mail contacts then you need to log in there and move all your contacts into the 'My Contacts' section. Just highlight all your contacts and select 'move to my contacts'. It doesn't change any group structures, I think it's just for syncing purposes.

6) Do another sync on your phone to google.

Once that's done give it a try!

Upvote 0
Follow my instructions from the start to make sure all your contacts are in the phone as google contacts.

Then log in to gmail/google mail and make sure all your contacts are listed under the 'My Contacts' section.

Once this is done you should go to the home page>menu>settings>accounts and sync>click on your google account>sync now.

Hopefully it will work after this. I'll amend my post above for the last step about syncing.

Upvote 0
Hi, First post on this forum so be kind with me!

Just a follow on from the excellent advice from firstly Lekky and more recently Si Pie.
I have a Orange uk branded Dsire and I have just this second got voice dialling to work following there advice and as they say you must have your contacts in a google account.
if you do a google search on your pc with "sync gmail contacts with android"
and pick the first hit it will go through everything you must do.

So a BIG Thank you to Si Pie and Lekky for this.

Upvote 0
Tried that lekky a box just appears connection problem Google search try again / cancel
if I connect the Wifi and say something it will do a search on google infact that is brilliant

You need to have access to a network connection in order to use it. Either WiFi or mobile data. I think this is because the actual analysis takes place on googles servers, so they can increase its effectiveness without us having to worry about it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones