Using WiFi exclusively without a contractSupport

Last Updated:

1. raguilar1@verizon.net

raguilar1@verizon.net New Member This Topic's Starter

I have a very basic question and I hope somebody can help me. I want to buy an unlocked Samsung Galaxy S phone and use it exclusive as a WiFi phone in the USA. Can I buy an unlocked phone and expected to work with WiFi without having to have an agreement with the phone companies? I don't mind paying $600+ for the phone, but it is the monthly fees from the phone companies that I would like to avoid. I am almost certain that this would work, but I just wanted to ask that question before I actually buy the phone. I want to make sure that the phone companies and/or Samsung have not done something that would prevent me from doing this without a contract.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Advertisement
  2. _Ash_

_Ash_ Member

I'm in the UK and my wife runs her Wildfire like that. She only has a pay as you go SIM in it for calls and texts but other stuff usually gets accessed or downloaded via my wifi network. It could possibly pose a problem when she's out but then she doesn't tend to use many of the features such as maps etc.

That's what my contact Galaxy is for ;)

raguilar1@verizon.net likes this.
  3. vikingisson

vikingisson Well-Known Member

It will work fine without a SIM or a SIM without data. I ran mine WiFI only for a while and used a VoIP app for calls. However I'd suggest rethinking your choice of device. Nice specs but horrible version of software. I'd wait to see if the promised 2.2 update actually fixes things. Otherwise you are paying too much for subpar crap.

4. raguilar1@verizon.net

raguilar1@verizon.net New Member This Topic's Starter

Thank you very much for both of your responses. What other phone would you recommend instead of the Galaxy S?

5. mattuhh

mattuhh Well-Known Member

raguilar1@verizon.net likes this.