using wifi in europeGeneral

Last Updated: 2012-01-27 18:16:17
  1. tarayayo

tarayayo Active Member

I will be travelling to Ireland in May. My phone is activated on virgin mobile usa but occasionally I use groove ip when connected to wifi. will my optimus v connect to irish wifi networks and would I be able to use google voice to make calls. all without any additional charges from vm?

also if I can connect to wifi could I pull up a map on google maps then when I'm out of range would the map still be there?

Advertisement
  2. brotherswing

brotherswing Well-Known Member

Yes, GIP will work fine there. It doesn't depend on location, just an Internet connection. No, Maps will not work once you lose your connection. I've heard of an app called CoPilot that downloads it's maps first, so you don't need a connection, but I don't know much else about it. And I'm nothing but jealous, my grandmother was from Ireland. :D
  3. benslgdroid

benslgdroid rockstar Guide

Copilot works great offline
  4. tarayayo

tarayayo Active Member

thanks guys! copilot will come in handy. driving in ireland is confusing, not to mention the whole wrong side of the road thing!

brotherswing- you should inquire about getting irish citizenship. if your grandmother was born there you can contact the irish consulate and work on getting her birth certificate.
  5. brotherswing

I'm actually a British Isles mutt. Scots Irish on mom's side of the family, English Welsh on my dad's. :)
  6. benslgdroid

benslgdroid rockstar Guide

My family is from Ireland. Morgan clan is my family heritage. I've always wanted to go there.
  7. bac22

bac22 Well-Known Member

8. brotherswing

Good to know, I was just answering from personal experience.