• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Using WIFI network with disabled SSID broadcast?

sabrewings

Android Expert
May 26, 2010
I used to keep my SSID broadcast at home disable, and four computers have never had a problem using the network. Only my Incredible doesn't seem to be able to reconnect to a remembered network not broadcasting its SSID. In fact, if I turn off the SSID while the Incredible is connected, it instantly drops the WIFI connection.

Anyone have luck having the Incredible use a network without the SSID being broadcast constantly? I'm using WPA2 if that makes a difference.

First, to liberty1776: I don't recommend using MAC filtering as a security option. All it takes is someone to spoof the MAC address of your device and then you're locked out of your own network.

sabrewings, I had a problem with my Incredible reconnecting to my SSID-hidden network until I set up static leases. I still use DHCP so it's not a static IP, but I just tell my DHCP server to re-assign the same IP address to my Incredible every time it connects to my network. FYI, I use linksys routers loaded with dd-wrt firmware, and the network uses WPA2 security.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: sabrewings
Upvote 0
Sorry to hear you could not get it working.

At home it works fine, but in the last week, I tried to connect to the hidden network at work, hidden SSID enabler has not helped.

I don't know if it has something to with my phone having a pre hidden history on the ssid broadcast, but I can't try this at work.

A colleague at work has a HTC Desire and has absolutely no problems connecting, we've compares any thinkable setting, to no avail.

Lots of androiders have had this problem, and for a long time.
There is a thread at google code on it
code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=1041

Upvote 0
I know this is an old thread but...for those of you who are saying that the HiddenSSID program doesn't work, make sure you aren't capitalizing the first letter of the SSID (which it will try to do by default when you start typing) unless it's supposed to be, and make sure 3g/mobile is turned off. I can confirm that this program does work on the Incredible.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones