• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Using WiFi only?

pinkfrog876

Dec 5, 2011
I'm getting my rezound in the mail tomorrow (YAY! first smartphone/phone ever for me) and I want to make sure I use as little data as possible at home. What settings or apps should I download for my rezound to assure that when I am at home only WiFi is used? Because I read that when the phone goes to sleep wifi shuts off and 4g takes over. Please help I only have 300mb data to work with per month. Which really should be fine since I have WiFi at school and home, where I am 95% of the time.

I'm getting my rezound in the mail tomorrow (YAY! first smartphone/phone ever for me) and I want to make sure I use as little data as possible at home. What settings or apps should I download for my rezound to assure that when I am at home only WiFi is used? Because I read that when the phone goes to sleep wifi shuts off and 4g takes over. Please help I only have 300mb data to work with per month. Which really should be fine since I have WiFi at school and home, where I am 95% of the time.

Have not tested this yet but, I was told by a store rep. that WiFi uses a lot more battery than 3G/4G. Anyone else have any solid data on this?

Upvote 0
Looks like I will be charging my phone a lot, then... Haha. I hope one charge per day will suffice that is what I do with my ipod touch now and it lasts perfectly

Unfortulatly, you will be needing to charge it more often than that. Read some of the battery life posts on here for more info. If all your phone did was play music(like an ipod) then once whould probably be enough but, you will most likely be doing alot more than that. Good luck! :D

Upvote 0
Have not tested this yet but, I was told by a store rep. that WiFi uses a lot more battery than 3G/4G. Anyone else have any solid data on this?
The fact that a store rep told you something should have caused you to immediately become gravely skeptical of its accuracy.

wrong. wifi uses LESS battery than 3g and MUCH LESS than 4g!! use it whenever you can :D
This.
Switch from CDMA/LTE to CDMA only and then use WiFi whenever you can. I wonder if you can find an app that only enabled auto sync over WiFi?

Upvote 0
The fact that a store rep told you something should have caused you to immediately become gravely skeptical of its accuracy.

This.
Switch from CDMA/LTE to CDMA only and then use WiFi whenever you can. I wonder if you can find an app that only enabled auto sync over WiFi?

There are settings in the phone to only sync over wifi.

Upvote 0
Here are the settings that work for me and I am getting a full day with my standard battery.

For Battery Life: WIFI always at home. CDMA unless I need the fast data download or am in a solid 4G area. Set your phone on "Normal" not "Performance" this phone is fast anyway. Also I like to prep my battery by fully charging it as soon as I get the phone then fully discharging it for a couple of cycles, then random charging a few times then a couple more complete discharges. Now some people will say this is not necessary but it works for me and as always YMMV.

For data use conservation: Use WIFI whenever you can, get to know heavy data usages like Facebook and picture files and manage them carefully. Then manage your use accordingly, for example, don't just text back or answer FB immediately, don't have your phone set on auto sync - do it manually. Also straight calling does not use data so call whenever possible. Think about what you need before just surfing the Internet.

300 MB a month equals roughly 75 MB per week or 10 MB per day. If you think through all your uses and budget how you use the phone for that 10 MB per day you will be fine and by reviewing the use per week you won't go over monthly.

You are gonna love this phone, good luck!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones