Using wifi to talk/text overseasGeneral

Last Updated:

1. smackboy1

smackboy1 Active Member This Topic's Starter

I know it's probably easiest to just get a cheap prepaid GSM phone for use overseas, but I'm curious if anybody has actually successfully used a DInc overseas with only wifi (no CDMA roaming)? My SO and I both have DInc's. Let's say I am overseas in a hotel w/ only wifi, and she is in the US.

- Can we text each other using Google Voice to Google Voice?
    - Can we call each other for free using Skype to Skype? What about Fring?
    - Any differences between Skype and Fring?
    - What does the call sound like on a cell to cell Skype or Fring call? Is the quality decent?

What if me and the SO are both overseas and both only have wifi. Can we still text and call each other using GV, Skype or Fring?

Advertisement
  2. dlmcdowell

dlmcdowell Member

I would like to know this, too. Anyone?

3. Knewz

Knewz Well-Known Member

Skype and GV is VoIP. Skype to skype is free, GV to GV is free(talk, text, Vchat) If you have a good wifi connection you can use them without cdma roaming.

4. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Well-Known Member

Common misconception, Google Voice is not VOIP, when you use google voice you are still using your plan minutes. Skype for android does allow calls over wifi but not overseas only in the US, and the skype that comes with the incredible does not allow calls over Wi-Fi.

However I believe you can still use google talk and other Instant messaging programs over wi-fi to "chat". I'm not sure about other voice services that work on wi-fi.

5. Knewz

Knewz Well-Known Member

There is a way to use GV as VoIP. I used to use it on my WinMo phone. i forget the name of the app, or even if its available for Android. You are right about that android skype not being able to make overseas calls...i wonder why other OSs can.

6. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

GV over Wifi for free calling with sipgate is a pain in the a$$ to set up, lol..

I use GV for texting and Skype for calling over wifi. Completely free and just uses your wifi connection.

7. twmarrs

twmarrs Member

I use fring, I just came back from Brussels and used fring on various WiFi locations $0.01 per min. back to the US and the funnu thing when I call Brussels in Brussels $0.02 a min. so Fring is the one for me:)

8. greatchief1

greatchief1 Well-Known Member

Try truphone. You can find it in the android market. Worked as you described for me this past summer while in mexico for vacation and dummy proof to setup. Works best using high speed wifi, calls are free anywhere if you call someone else that has truphone account.

9. bunjy

bunjy Active Member

I used Skype (not the version that comes with the phone) over WiFi when I was in Brazil. I paid $.02/minute to call home. The quality was actually pretty good when I called a landline. It wasn't as good when calling a mobile phone.

10. sequre

sequre Well-Known Member

I thought google voice allowed you to make unlimited phone calls using a data connection and did not use your plan minutes?

11. euph_22

euph_22 Well-Known Member

You thought wrong. Google voice is not a VOIP (yet). It's basically a call forwarding service. It still uses plan minutes.

12. chepes3x

chepes3x Well-Known Member

Im sure u can..

First u need to have a google voice number(they free now) then open another account with sipgate... when u have those 2 accounts go to ur google voice page and configure it with ur sipgate account..(u will need a pc for these.. u have to download the sipgate dialer)

then go to the market and download SIPDROID and GV DIALER..

for the Gv dialer use ur google voice account info... for SIPDROID use ur credentials from sipgate...go to the webpage...sing in and the look for ur ID and password(make sure to use the caps lock when u put ur password on sipdroid.

its a long process but ones u figure it out u can make free calls over 3g and wi-fi... I use it all the time...im sure u can use it when u overseas with wi-fi

I have 2 accounts one with sipgate and gizmo5.

13. sdgoat

sdgoat Member

I just did this using the same setup in Italy. I had free Wifi in the hotel and it worked about 90% of the time. From 5-7pm I had some serious lag, but other than that it was great.

14. chepes3x

When u can't dial a phone call using Gv dialer u need to re-start Sipdroid...Hit Exit and then open sipdroid...u should be fine after u do that....

thats cool u can use it overseas.

15. shred1

shred1 Well-Known Member

Verizon started blocking me from my gizmo5 account recently are you still able to access gizmo5 via sipdroid with 3g? Wifi still works fine.

16. chepes3x

Yes i can!

Open Sipdroid and Make sure when u go to settings to have 3g Check.

17. shred1

shred1 Well-Known Member

I had the 3g checked. What I just figured out it was the stun server I was using.I unchecked it and it connected over 3g fine again. I only used the stun in the past for quality issues. Are using any stun server? How is sound quality?

18. sdgoat

sdgoat Member

AH! That fixed my Sipgate/Sipdroid issue too! I had gone the route of getting PBXes configured, but noticed an increase in lag/quality. Feels good to be working again!

19. yamamonster600

yamamonster600 Well-Known Member

Verizon told me that while i am in the US google voice uses data, when I am roaming it uses minutes, because I am not using their towers.

20. chepes3x

I dont Use Stun Server...

Something i figure out was how to get rid of the echo.. u have to lower the volume...go down like 2 bars....that will fix the echo.