• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Spec wise the Elite is better, faster CPU, better camera, NFC & google wallet support, LED Camera flash, to name just a few. And because this phone is built by the same company that built the V, I'm guessing that it will certainly be an improvement over the V in real world use...something the Triumph didn't live up too.

As AndyOpie150 has pointed out, right now it seems you can move to the phone and keep your existing plan...but not to long ago VM did announce that they modified their grandfather clauses so if you're on the $25 plan and move to a new phone you lose your grandfathered plan and have to move to the $35 plan instead. So one has to wonder how long it will be before VM enforces that change?!?!?

Upvote 0
Well, I just picked up an Optimus Elite tonight at Best Buy for $129.95. Yes, they do have the OpV in stock ($179.95).I tried to swap phones online, but wound up having to call.

As far as I can tell you can move apps to the SD card, but for some reason it calls the SD card "Internal Storage". Move2SD gives the option to move to "Internal Storage". Once an app has been moved, there is the usual Move to Phone option. I haven't noticed anything weird with the battery cover or anything else. The phone is much like the OpV with a nice bright (slightly larger) screen. It's a bit peppier than the V thanks to the somewhat faster processor. Call quality so far is very similar to the V. The back cover is not rubberized like the V. It is textured plastic. The 5MP camera has a flash, and in my brief test it works well. There is no dedicated camera button. The Android buttons are not physical buttons like on the V. Battery is larger than the V at 1720mah v. 1500. I will have to see how battery life compares to that of the V.

Was thinking of waiting for the EVO, but I decided I really don;t need 4g, and this way I get to keep my $25 plan. I may give the V to my son to play games and listen to music. I willl not activate it for him, though. He already has a tracfone that costs me only $10/month. That'll work for him until he can pay for his own.

Reactions: rooter1
Upvote 0
Well, I just picked up an Optimus Elite tonight at Best Buy for $129.95. Yes, they do have the OpV in stock ($179.95).I tried to swap phones online, but wound up having to call.

As far as I can tell you can move apps to the SD card, but for some reason it calls the SD card "Internal Storage". Move2SD gives the option to move to "Internal Storage". Once an app has been moved, there is the usual Move to Phone option. I haven't noticed anything weird with the battery cover or anything else. The phone is much like the OpV with a nice bright (slightly larger) screen. It's a bit peppier than the V thanks to the somewhat faster processor. Call quality so far is very similar to the V. The back cover is not rubberized like the V. It is textured plastic. The 5MP camera has a flash, and in my brief test it works well. There is no dedicated camera button. The Android buttons are not physical buttons like on the V. Battery is larger than the V at 1720mah v. 1500. I will have to see how battery life compares to that of the V.

Was thinking of waiting for the EVO, but I decided I really don;t need 4g, and this way I get to keep my $25 plan. I may give the V to my son to play games and listen to music. I willl not activate it for him, though. He already has a tracfone that costs me only $10/month. That'll work for him until he can pay for his own.

I have two extra v's I bought for my kids to play as mini tablets and they live them and they have put these things through everything. Including dropped in a yellow liquid of some kind ;)

Upvote 0
As far as I can tell you can move apps to the SD card, but for some reason it calls the SD card "Internal Storage". Move2SD gives the option to move to "Internal Storage". Once an app has been moved, there is the usual Move to Phone option.
You have an Internal SD (this is what the large user partition in the system is being called) and an External SD (this is the physical uSD card). You can move everything but apps to the external uSD card. If you do this all of the Internal SD can be used solely for apps. That's a crazy amount of space for apps. You will never need Link2SD or any other such utility ever again.

Reactions: TX-Dennis
Upvote 0
You have an Internal SD (this is what the large user partition in the system is being called) and an External SD (this is the physical uSD card). You can move everything but apps to the external uSD card. If you do this all of the Internal SD can be used solely for apps. That's a crazy amount of space for apps. You will never need Link2SD or any other such utility ever again.
Google recently upped the max size for apps up to 50 megs.

As games get more popular and phones get more powerful (more computer like), that space will seem smaller and smaller in a big hurry.

I have had some recent apps top 40 megs (some older ones hit 25 on a regular basis) and I can use nearly a gig in total on my Evo 4G, especially if I have games installed. Some of these aren't an option on the OV because it simply cannot handle them. Within a week of getting more storage, your storage use will probably double.

I keep my phone pretty clean and free of excess compared to most people.

Reactions: AndyOpie150
Upvote 0
So far the battery life on the Elite seems pretty decent. I unplugged mine at 6:30 this morning. It is now just past 8:00pm. Battery is at 61% with moderate usage. I made about 10 min. of phone calls, sent and received 10-15 texts, surfed the web for maybe half an hour, and played a game (Word Wrench) for 15-20 min. during the day. This is with wireless and 3G enabled all day. GPS is disabled unless I need it. I am using the phone pretty much the same way I used my V, and the battery life, despite the larger screen and more powerful CPU, is basically the same.

Now I need to find a case comparable to the otterbox . . . I hate for my phone to go naked. Drops happen.

Reactions: rooter1
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones