• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Vacation is OFF this year

I usually don't spend my time off. It goes into a pool where both sick and vacation come out of it. I get nasty sinus infections and take off a couple of days to lay around and read comic books while I try to feel normal again.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to go to Europe. Airfare from here to there is like $1k though. My wallet can't take that.
Still, you surely arent eating into 10-15 holiday days with illness? Yeah, the flights are fairly pricy, certainly not something you'd do more than every few years unless you're earning something pretty hefty.

Upvote 0
I'm surprised, but only because I've never seen either. The Sky Shuttles were running when I was last there, and the ferry terminal building had two pads going. I was only on the streets of the city about two hours altogether, the rest of it was indoors due to horrid humidity and heat.

Too bad about the metro.. it was top of the line years ago, not as good as Moscow's was then (early 80s), but very nice.
Well, Montreal Metro is 100x better than the Toronto Subway!!! I believe 70-80% of public transportation is by Metro, so Montreal has a nice clean look to it on the street...unlike Toronto.

The midwest ain't that bad in July and August. It's the same as Florida only we have like 70-80% humidity and they have 90-100% humidity. Also, they have more alligators per capita.

Both are way too high on the humidity index. I can't do more than 60% >_>;;;

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to go to Europe. Airfare from here to there is like $1k though. My wallet can't take that.
I think for 2012, you should make going to Europe your objective. You have a year to look for cheap flights...which I think is possible to go when you go during the low season.

Upvote 0
I'm leaning toward staying at home. At the end of the day it comes down to me not being able to spend money on myself. I can't justify dropping $500+ on just a week or less of enjoyment.

My wife and I are both workaholics so I know where you're coming from. But, you need to get out of the routine. Do some traveling whether it's just some driving or a certain destination. It really does help to clear the head and refresh you.
Also, a break from the forums helps!

Upvote 0
You can't take your experiences with you when you die either. Just saying.

Various experiences are what makes life worth living for. If you don't go out there and see and experience the things that humans were meant to see and experience then you basically aren't living. In my opinion, you are extremely comfortable doing the same routine day in and out because you feel that it is safer that way. At the end of the day it is your decision, but you asked for our opinion, and we feel like you are wasting your life away sitting around.

Upvote 0
I feel like I'm wasting my time and money if I'm not doing something productive. At the very least I can make my nieces lives better by leaving them something when I pass. I just don't have the time. I've got some other projects around the house that I can do in the evenings/weekends that I could really use the vacation money on as well.

Upvote 0
I feel like I'm wasting my time and money if I'm not doing something productive. At the very least I can make my nieces lives better by leaving them something when I pass. I just don't have the time. I've got some other projects around the house that I can do in the evenings/weekends that I could really use the vacation money on as well.

Your nieces can get money from everyone else. Make the time to do these things, that's the point that we're trying to get across to you.

Upvote 0

Unfortunately money that is inherited rarely makes anyone's life better, especially if it represents the loss of a family member. If you want them to benefit, then take a trip with them. The experience and fun will be vastly more beneficial than money.

Upvote 0
Come on to St. Louis, MO...they have a world class zoo, and it's free to get in. Plenty of museums, and the baseball Cardinals. I'm not sure about an aquarium though. It's driving distance too from KS.

If you like beer, you can tour the Anheuser-Busch brewery (In-Bev). Take a ride up the Gateway Arch, on the riverfront, is fun also.

Reactions: jwp1223
Upvote 0
This is my opinion. I work 45 hours a week. I barely scrape by as it is. I don't live in the nice neighborhood, but I chose to live somewhere where the crime isn't nearly as bad as say where I work, so I have to make sacrifices, so that means my rent is higher, my gas is more expensive (since I have to fill up more often), and my utilities are usually higher as well. I don't get to go to cool vacations, because I don't have the money too. If I did....I would be going to Ireland right about now. I would take about 3 weeks off of work and have a blast.

If you have some extra cabbage available, and you've never done anything for yourself, then go do something. You live once. Leaving something for your family is fine and dandy, but what they will cherish the most are the memories that you made for them. They will recant your stories of the things you did because that's the kind of person you were. What is your family going to say if you choose to go to work and home and that's it? He was a homely person...not really flattering...and oh, I still get out and do things. I play frisbee golf (don't knock it until you try it), I drive to the Smokeys on the weekends when I have some extra money, I get in the car and put my finger on a destination on a map and I go and I have an adventure. That's what you need to do. You need to say **** it...and just go have an adventure for yourself.

Upvote 0
The San Diego zoo is awesome. Can't say enough good things about it. San Diego is absolutely gorgeous to begin with.

Heh, I was going to suggest San Diego. Beautiful place. We're heading down there ourselves this summer. The kid wants to go to the zoo, Sea World of course and see the Titanic exhibit. Disasters of epic proportions are high on her list of interests. Right below highly venomous critters and nasty fungi that can kill you dead.

Upvote 0
don't forget the SD Zoo's Wild Animal Park! it's a little bit of a drive from the actual Zoo, but it's well worth it.

San Diego Zoo Safari Park

I wanted to see that the last time I was out there. I didn't get there until like 2 or 3 in the afternoon and the guy at the gate said it wasn't worth it for just a couple of hours.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones