Value of iPhone 3g?

Last Updated:

1. fotos

fotos Member This Topic's Starter

So I switched to a Droid X and couldn't be happier. Now trying to sell my iPhone.

I searched craigslist and saw that a used iPhone 3g sells for $200+. There are so many buyers posting that I can't differentiate which to go with. I was just wondering how I should go about selling my 3g. It's in 8/10 condition, no water/screen damage and stock from att. Does unlocking it before selling increase the value? I might have to look into that.

What do buyers do with these used phones anyway?

Advertisement
  2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

I have a co-worker who shops for extreme deals on devices and then just markets them at other sites for a better price.

She swears she can make an extra hundred bux a week just on a few phones.

Some people do that stuff full time.

3. BiGMERF

BiGMERF Well-Known Member

your only problem is there are two versions following your phone.. kind of puts a cap on your asking price

4. fotos

I'd be happy with selling for $100 :) Just don't have any use for it now..

5. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Well-Known Member

Did you ever jailbreak it previously, or has it always been stock and received all the standard iOS upgrades? If that's the case, it limits the value, because it can't be downgraded/unlocked/jailbroken quite as easily.

6. DROIDdidME

DROIDdidME Well-Known Member

I say post it up at a similiar price to what others have theirs posted for, and let the emails/offers fly in. It's only worth what the higgest bidder is willing to pay and the only way to find out is to post it up :)

7. gallandof

gallandof Well-Known Member

is it the 3g or 3gs? im looking to get a Ios device simply for games and such and running it off WiFi so I may be interested. also what OS version is it running?

8. fotos

It's a 3g 16gb black. Never jail-broken/unlocked and running the latest 4.1.

Will post it up on craigslist SF Bay Area.. I'd rather just deal with cash. PM me if you are local!

9. BiGMERF

id say take the ebay route , i sold both odf mines there...

10. gallandof

gallandof Well-Known Member

bah the 4.1 kills it for me, dont think it can be jailbroken yet :(

11. smurfe

smurfe Well-Known Member

Man, I never really thought about selling them. I have 5 iPhone 3G's in the drawer.

12. ashykat

ashykat Well-Known Member

Actually the iPhone 3G can be downgraded to previous versions of iOS, all you need is a program called iRecovery to get it out of the recovery boot loop after doing so. All versions of the iPhone 3G can currently be jailbroken and unlocked. redsn0w can jailbreak it on iOS version 4.0.2, it just doesn't work on the 3GS or iPhone 4. You should definitely jailbreak and unlock it, and advertise that it's ready for any sim card including T-Mobile. I recently (within the last 2 weeks) bought an iPhone 3G for $120, was able to get it replaced by Apple because there was a crack from the docking port which they said was a known flaw. I then unlocked and jailbroke it, and sold it within a day on Craigslist for $240. Keep in mind that was a brand new condition phone, but you could reasonably get $180-$200 for yours as long as there aren't cracks and the screen is in good condition.

13. Roxors

Roxors Well-Known Member

I would say post it up on a few diff sites and then lower your price if no one bites. just don't post too high otherwise people will just be like ef this

14. BiGMERF

you da man