Vanilla 2.1 or better phones?

Last Updated:

1. dryhte

dryhte Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've been looking around to see which brands have Android phones available that can run plain vanilla 2.1 or 2.2 Android.

So far, haven't found many:

- Google: Nexus One (2.1/2.2)

older versions:
    - HTC: Magic (1.6 if I'm not mistaken)
    - Samsung: i7500 Galaxy (1.5/1.6)

If any of you know other phones running vanilla Android, please help me update my list.

I'm also interested to know if a vendor's custom shell can easily be switched off to get the 'vanilla experience'. I've heard that that is no longer the case at least for HTC Sense.

EDIT: I found a video which showed that by just turning off the Sense process, and then hitting the home button, you can stop the sense interface (though this may apply to the launcher only). In that case, HTC's Sense-equipped phones may qualify :)

Advertisement
  2. Vakman

Vakman Well-Known Member

Well, Sense UI is integrated deep into the system, I remember reading that certain things, not sure what I was looking at, will not work even if you turn the Sense UI off.
    Anyway there are other phones:
    -Acer Liquid E (2.1)
    -Acer A1 (1.6 but it may have 2.1 on released phones now, at least from an update I believe)
    -Dell Streak (The versions released to date have Android 1.6 installed, although Dell promised an update to Android 2.2 later in 2010 - Wiki)
    -Motorola Droid or Motorola Milestone (If Not In US) (2.1 From Update, May come with 2.0.1?)
    -Motorola Droid X (Not sure if this is stock, looks like stock Android but it might not be)
    -Samsung Moment (2.1 From Update I believe)

To name a few, while some could be guesses.
    Droid X is probably one of the best choices if you are in the US, if not the Acer Liquid E is a nice phone but I would side with the Nexus One if you can afford it.
    Dell Streak is really big though, so if you like that idea.

3. Frankeleyn

Frankeleyn New Member

It's a great question. Android is just a great system. Then the idiots at HTC/phone companies **** it up by adding loads of completely crappy, unintuitive bloatware on top that (a) makes the phone less usable and (b) means you get no (or very late) updates.

I do hope there will be more plain android devices.

4. Guamguy

Guamguy Well-Known Member

Other the G2, which is only on T-Mobile, the "raw" Android phones are generally low end.

Samsung Intercept
    Huawei Ideos aka T-Mobile Comet
    LG Optimus One.

The Optimus S has a totally undecorated Android. The Optimus One itself, including the Optimus T actually uses some sort of light theme to decorate the UI but you can still see the decorating is only thin and cosmetic.

Its a myth that the UIs cause the OS updates to be slow. Take examples of third party Uis like Slidescreen, ADWLauncher or Launcher Pro, install them in an Android 2.1 handset and when the Froyo update hits, these apps remain unaffected and will continue to run after the update.

UIs are essentially glorified themes and widget systems. They don't alter the Android UI fundamentals---you still have a notification bar, the Application menu button, buttons like Home, Return, Search and Menu still work the same way. Once you understand all the Android commonalities, you will master each so called UI in less than a minute.

What causes the OS updates to be slow is that each manufacturer takes time hard coding the Android OS to specific hardware features like the GPU acceleration and video recording. That's the reason why HTC Sense and most especially, Touchwiz 3.0, feels very smooth compared to stock Android Froyo on a Nexus One.

Another reason for the "slow down" is because the manufacturer is also trying to improve the UI system, then bundle these improvements with the Android OS update. This has been the case for both Samsung and Sony Ericsson. Its just convenient for them, and easier to debug, if they package both OS updates and UI updates as one package.

HTC managed to get their Android 2.2 updates out in some phones relatively quick because the update is only the OS and they didn't do anything to improve on the already existing Sense in those phones.

If you really want a "raw" experience, you can try Launcher Pro. While the UI is not exactly Eclair or Froyo, it can be said to be a hybrid of Eclair and Froyo. You can install this from the Market.