• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Vanilla 2.2 mail .apk?

I'm interested in the mail client from cyanogen - at least one that was tweaked in some of the nightlies - it allowed for control of syncing of specific folders from exchange, versus some of these which seem to sync only inbox (htc), or everything (cm6rc3).
Can anyone tell me if the moto one you guys are looking at supports this? If not, if people are interested, I'll try to pull and test the cyanogen one tomorrow.

Upvote 0
Hi all,

Ideally this is what I would like out of the mail app.

1. To support Hotmail Exchange Active Sync
2. To support push email over certain times
3. To allow synchronising of all emails not just one moth
4. To allow the ability to move emails to different folders
5. To be able to create, delete and rename folders
6. To be able to view HTML emails properly
7. To be able to download attachments
8. To have a home page widget that counts unread emails

Hope some bright spark reads this and can sort it out.

Upvote 0
I would try the new APK posted here and see. I'm going to test my issue against it as well.

I've also just recompiled the android.jar file with Calendar support, so I should be able to build the email app from scratch source now, too.

Thanks.
That's great! Would you be able to post this jar? I'd like to take a look at the mail app myself as I'm getting the "Unable to open connection to the server" error (Issue 9668 - android - Froyo FRF91 exchange 2003 unable to conect - Project Hosting on Google Code)

Upvote 0
Tried the new Mail.apk and works fine to create a Gmail acct. When trying either one of my exchange accts I get an error.

"The application Email (process com.google.android.email) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."

Any thoughts? Really need to get multiple exchange accts as I just took a second job that uses exchange. Thanks!

Upvote 0
The first stock email app is great.

A few questions:

1) Is it safe to use (pardon the question, but I am new to this forum and to Android...previously I had a Treo for 6 years!!!).
If I enter my username and password, is that info safe?

2) How do I update this app?
Because (and trust me...I'm not complaining. I have dark circles around my eyes as proof that I have been staying up till the "wee small hours..." looking for a way to have push Hotmail, but...) it's not flashy or all that nice to look at.
also, I can't pinch to zoom in or out.

Anyone know of any updates to this app.

I did have an Epic before I swapped and this email app looks alot like that one, except a stripped down version.

Anyway, THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
I grabbed it from a Nexus One FRF91 dump and then signed it :)

If you wanted to, you can grab the aosp source for the Mail.apk and compile it yourself if you want to add functionality.

android.git.kernel.org Git - platform/packages/apps/Email.git/summary

I am having quite a time using Git to obtain the source from there. Hoped to compile email just to see if I could do it. Finally grabbed the source for those two using Git from another XP computer and both files had a lot of problems when I tried to compile (using Eclipse and Android SDK I downloaded last week). I have been able to compile, test, and run so I know that Eclipse/SDK is set up properly. Is this even possible on a Windows 32 XP system? Thanks.

Upvote 0
Could someone tell me how to replace the built in mail.apk with the one in this thread?

I've only had my Android phone for a couple of days, but I've been able to S-Off and root it.

I believe I'd need to rename the stock HTC Mail.apk file and copy the new mail.apk. When I try to rename the stock Mail.apk I get an error "failed on 'Mail.apk' - Read-only file system".

Am I going about this the right way or is there an easier way? How do I rename a read-only file?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones