Vanilla Froyo On Droid X?

Last Updated:

1. Jon Jon

Jon Jon Member This Topic's Starter

I'll admit, I don't know much about rooting at all, so i've been lurking around here getting an idea of how to go about it. I'm pretty tech savvy, so it's nothing over my head, I'm just unfamiliar with it.

I'm really unhappy with Motorola's latest droid x update. Updating to Froyo seems to have just made my phone significantly slower, the rotation is less responsive, etc. (the 2.3.15 update)

All I would really want to do is, I'd want to root the phone and just load a stock Froyo ROM onto here. No extra moto or verizon BS, just the stock OS and whatever apps I want on it. Does that make sense? How would I go about doing that?

Advertisement
  2. raduray

raduray Well-Known Member

Not possible at this time. Do some searches for the exact reasoning, but Motorola's locked down the base functionality thus preventing loading of non-motorola OS. The lock only got stronger with the release of the 2.2OTA. The hacker community is working at breaking the locks, but no joy yet. It is, however, possible to root the 2.2OTA which will allow you to remove bloat, and install certain root only applications such as backups and file managers with /systems access and wireless hot spot functionality.

3. Jon Jon

I would love to get rid of the bloat at least.

It's definitely a lesser experience even though Froyo is suppose to give a significant performance boost over 2.1 :(

4. nitsuj17

nitsuj17 Well-Known Member

well things you can do, would be to root and then run tranquility rom from p3droid as it replaces as many blur apks with stock ones as possible (ie messaging) then get root explorer and remove as much of the bloat as possible or freeze it with titanium backup.

run autokiller and one of the higher settings and the fun is snappier.

5. Jon Jon

6. Justintoxicated

Justintoxicated Well-Known Member

No it does not. You can still root using the "droid 2 method". I'm not familiar with it, since I have not needed to do this since I got the 2.3.15 leak instead.

Even after you root, you will need to do a manual deodex for tranquility, and if you screw something up theres no SBF available at the time of writing this to fix your phone since you have the OTA with the updated boot loader.

However, it sounds like it will be possible to roll back your boot loader in the future. So I would just root, and rename some .apk's to .bak and wait for more progress from the devs.

7. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

CVPCS is working on Obsidian which is a vanilla froyo rom with some enhancements of course. It sounds like he is getting close but who knows how long it will take. There is a lot to over come.

Crystal Clear Roms | Home of the Sapphire Rom

8. Jon Jon

I won't risk bricking my phone then if there's a high risk of it happening. I can wait :)

Thanks for the responses guys :)

9. GregTard

GregTard Well-Known Member

There is a system SBF from P3Droid that can be used to recover from theming 2.2 OTA.

TBH announces Froyo System SBF and RSDLite 4.8