Vanilla messaging app on eris

Last Updated:

1. Android noob

Android noob Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I got xtrROM 3.1 Beta and I love everything about it except the Vanilla Messaging app... I like it way better than the sense one... So is there anyway I can get it onto my phone without having to flash a different one? I know there was a port to of it for non root phones but supposedly it was having a bug that would make each message appear twice... so I don't want to deal with that. Can I take the Vanilla messaging app from another ROM and replace that apk with the one that is in the xtrROM?

Advertisement
  2. Skeletronix

Skeletronix Well-Known Member

Check out the parandroid messaging app. Its in the market. Ignore all the "coded message" features and you now have the vanilla messaging app. I find it to be way faster than all of the alternatives. Im surprised it hasn't gotten more press to be honest.

3. zerocool79346

zerocool79346 Well-Known Member

Yes, you can. Be aware though, for some reason, the system needs some sort of a stock messages.apk to work properly. If you remove both the Vanilla and Sense apps and try to use a third party app (say Handcent or Chomp), your texts will hang and act funny. Just uninstall the Sense messages app with Titanium Backup and use an app installer to install the Vanilla apk off of your SD card.

BTW: I flashed the one for nonroot phones, and it does not have the multiple message error. As long as both the Sense and the Vanilla are not installed at the same time, it will act normal.