• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

marcjohnson

May 5, 2010
So...I plugged into Kies today on the off chance that the JB update will be there and there was a mesage saying 'Firmware Update Available'

I accept, download the first part then it gets a chinese message which I accept for the whole process to go round in circles, I thought it might be a Kies problem so updated that and now the 'Firmware Update' is not there.

Anyone else had this problem where the update was on kies but you couldn't get it working?

I installed Kies specifically for the task of installing JB on my German Note, since I was not getting the OTA option offered. Despite the clean, vanilla install of freshly downloaded Kies the JB update would not complete. I gave up on Kies, uninstalled it (leaving the drivers installed) and proceeded to use PC Odin to flash the phone instead.

As it happens I found the install to be poor regarding battery life, even with safe wipes of everything, and used PC Odin once more to return back to ICS. Since then I've now been offered, and accepted, the OTA update for JB. I've let that install and am running with it at the moment. Battery life is still not as good as ICS, but I'm tired of all the ROM swaps so I'm persevering.

As for Kies, it's so flaky it should probably be a last resort for getting anything done. I can't see me trying it again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones