• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Various problems with Sony Xperia Z1 Compact

Arbu

Sep 12, 2011
I've had my Sony Xperia for about a month and, while it seems nicely designed, I wish it would work a bit better. In particular:

1. It beeps at irregular times but about once an hour and I can't see what it's trying to notify me of.
  2. When I turn it on it is always in the camera mode and I have to dismiss this. This is annoying.
  3. When I connect it to my computer it tells me that I need to install an update. When I follow these instructions it just gets stuck on one screen and tells me to start over again. Clearly this could go on indefinitely if I followed the instructions.
  4. I'd like to be able to stop it from beeping during the night even if it does have something to notify me of, but I can't see how to do this

The phone only came with a very limited instruction manual which doesn't help with any of the above. Can anyone kindly help at all?

Thanks

You can set it to go into silent mode at night using the Smart Connect app. Create a new profile with the + button then add a time (don't add a device). Add a start action of Sound mode -> Silent and an end action of Sound mode -> normal, then give it a name and you're done.

Any notification beeps should be accompanied by a notification message in the notification area. If it isn't obvious which app a notification is from, you can long-press on one and select 'app info' to find out.

Regards

Upvote 0
You can set it to go into silent mode at night using the Smart Connect app. Create a new profile with the + button then add a time (don't add a device). Add a start action of Sound mode -> Silent and an end action of Sound mode -> normal, then give it a name and you're done.

Any notification beeps should be accompanied by a notification message in the notification area. If it isn't obvious which app a notification is from, you can long-press on one and select 'app info' to find out.

Regards

Thanks v. much. Funny how you don't get an instruction manual with a phone these days nor a help file with software but have to use fora like this to work them out.

Anyway, the Smart Connect app looks like it should work and I've figured out how to start up my phone normally and not in camera mode. The beeps continue to come without notification messages though and my computer still always wants to install updates whenever I plug the phone in in spite of me having gone through its instructions dozens of times...

Reactions: SanFran
Upvote 0

Unfortunately this doesn't work. I have a profile in SmartConnect which is on, shows silent mode after 11:30pm and normal after 8am. Last night someone sent me a message on Google Hangouts at 2:30am. My phone joyfully beeped and woke me up yet again.

Really I'd like it to be possible for people to phone me at night, in case of an emergency. But I don't want all these unimportant notifications waking me up. Perhaps that's an impossible request and I will just have to turn my phone off every night.

Upvote 0
Did you set the event to happen every day, or just weekdays or weekends? This caught me out - I have different ones for weekdays and weekends because I like to wake up later at weekends, and I had to set the 'weekdays' one to be Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday & Sunday and set the 'weekends' one to Friday and Saturday. This is because the 'end' action - the bit where I wake up - depends on the day the 'start' action started. So my Saturday wake-up time has to be configured as the end action of Friday night's 'silent' action. It confused the heck out of me for a while.

If your problem's not related to that then I'm stumped. When it went off did the sound mode still say 'silent'?

Upvote 0
It went off again at 4am last night. A lunatic sent me a message on Tinder and the phone vibrated loudly a couple of times. No mention of this event in the Notifications bar, only in Tinder.

My Quick Settings panel currently shows Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Location, Hotspot, Throw, Auto-rotate and Brightness. None of the things you mention.

Upvote 0
And again last night. I checked Smart Connect and my silent at night setting had an additional condition namely that the phone had to be connected to the charger. What the heck! I certainly didn't set this and I can't see why on earth anyone would want this condition. Seems anything but smart to me. I suppose perhaps I should be grateful that I've only been woken twice at night by this phone in the last year, but still it's annoying. I'm inclined just to leave my phone's volume at a minimum at all times and rely on it vibrating to answer any incoming calls.

Upvote 0
And again last night. I checked Smart Connect and my silent at night setting had an additional condition namely that the phone had to be connected to the charger. What the heck! I certainly didn't set this and I can't see why on earth anyone would want this condition. Seems anything but smart to me. I suppose perhaps I should be grateful that I've only been woken twice at night by this phone in the last year, but still it's annoying. I'm inclined just to leave my phone's volume at a minimum at all times and rely on it vibrating to answer any incoming calls.

And again, last night. Smart Connect was set to "Do not disturb" mode. But at 2am my phone decided to beep and tell me to learn about "pinning" the screen. I suppose at least it's been a long time since this last happened but still it's really annoying. I never asked for these notifications, probably there's an opt out somewhere, but who knows where?

Upvote 0
And again last night. 4:37am and the cursed thing decided to vibrate and beep to notify me of a facebook message. Smart Connect had disabled the silent event for some reason and I certainly wasn't aware of this. So now I've got both Smart Connect and Macrodroid silencing the phone at night. If this doesn't work then I'll have to resort to turning the phone off every night.

Upvote 0
I don't know that that's the case. I was just thinking of possible explanations, and it occurred to me that it is possible for an app's notifications to be set as "priority" and thus still passed on when in "do not disturb" mode (though it shouldn't override just setting the ringer to silent, which is slightly different). Any app can be set that way. I should add that on my phone the FB app is not set to give priority notifications, and not overriding do not disturb was the default. I was literally just considering possibilities.

As I recall on my previous (android 5.0.2) device the "priority" thing was in the notifications settings, but I may have misremembered as it has been a long time since I looked at it. In my current one (android 8.1) you look in Settings > Apps > Facebook (for example) and there is an "app notifications" option where you can choose whether the app can override "do not disturb".

Upvote 0
No, there's no such option on Notifications for facebook. Just "On", "Allow notification dot", "Allow sound", "On the lock screen" and "Interrupts in Priority only".

I got woken up again last night, 3:30am. I'm absolutely sick of the way this cursed system behaves. I have about 30 apps on my phone and they update themselves regularly. When they update themselves I don't know if they are keeping settings the same. If there is an option for them to override the do not disturb setting then I am probably looking at a ten minute job every day to ensure that no app is going to wake me up.

Clearly the only solution is to turn the phone off every night.

Oh, and by the way I had both MacroDroid and Smart Connect supposedly ensuring that the phone was on silent.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Forgot to turn it off last night and Whatsapp joyfully woke me up at 6:45am even though Macrodroid and Smart Connect were both running. So I've added an action on Macrodroid to put the phone in Airplane Mode overnight. I think that should work. Next step will be to have Macrodroid turn the phone off automatically which I see it can do. I don't suppose there's any way to turn the phone back on automatically though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones