Vastly better low light shots on the Hero

Last Updated:

1. mcdonaa

mcdonaa Member This Topic's Starter

I`m not sure if this is a new setting in the 2.73.405.5 build ROM from HTC, but I have found a setting in the camera app that greatly improves taking shots in lower light levels. You appear to be able to control the ISO film speed now in the app. Set at ISO800, it seems that the 'response' of the screen is a lot better (the blurry update of the screen in low light conditions seems to have gone). I have taken comparing pictures, and the ones at ISO800 seems to be clearer than those set at 'Auto'. I've not tried outside 'good' light conditions with this setting yet though.

Advertisement
  2. Merago

Merago Well-Known Member

Wow, nice find!

3. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

This ramps the sensor gain up, kind of like turning up the volume on a weak radio signal. You'll get better low-light performance but noise in the image will be greatly increased too. It's a trade-off.....

4. mcdonaa

mcdonaa Member This Topic's Starter

Yup - realise this, but low light performance is utter cack to start with! Trying both methods, I would rather have easier to shoot 'grainier' images with the high ISO, that blurry dark images on 'Auto'. With ISO set to 800, I have taken much better images, than set at Auto.

5. Madhouse

Madhouse Member

The hero camera is the worst camera i have ever seen on all the latest phones, my old lg veiwty which must be nearly 2 years old, is still 10 times better than this, sorry but i will never use this camera

sorry for hijacking your post, but i just wanted to exspress my feelings:(
    josh

6. sdablool

sdablool Active Member

thank you this was totally useful for me !:)

7. colsnr

colsnr Active Member

Agree, HTC Hero camera is dreadful. My 5 yr old Samsung D500 takes better pics.

8. Archon810

Archon810 Well-Known Member

Agreed on the camera as well. The pictures are pretty horrendous and have really odd artifacts all the time.