• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Velocity 1.0 Video codec fix

:DIssue with playback solved. Although, so far I seem to have been the only one with this problem. Thank you getitnowmarketing for the suggestion, and Trident for the extra info.

If anyone else had the problem of choppy video and certain videos not being supported that were before, then here is a quick fix. All you have to do is get into system/build.prop and set the stagefright values to false. The only app that seemed to actually let me do that was root explorer.
1)Just go to system/buil.prop in the root explorer.
2)Set r/w so you can edit the file or else it will be read only.
3)Change stragefright values from true to false, and save it.
4)The app will make a backup of the file which needs to be deleted in order for this to work. Since you are only setting Stagefright to false it's ok.:cool::rolleyes::p:eek:;):)

Reactions: azuma73 and x-amp
:DIssue with playback solved. Although, so far I seem to have been the only one with this problem. Thank you getitnowmarketing for the suggestion, and Trident for the extra info.

If anyone else had the problem of choppy video and certain videos not being supported that were before, then here is a quick fix. All you have to do is get into system/build.prop and set the stagefright values to false. The only app that seemed to actually let me do that was root explorer.
1)Just go to system/buil.prop in the root explorer.
2)Set r/w so you can edit the file or else it will be read only.
3)Change stragefright values from true to false, and save it.
4)The app will make a backup of the file which needs to be deleted in order for this to work. Since you are only setting Stagefright to false it's ok.:cool::rolleyes::p:eek:;):)

which Stagefright do you want to switch if not all of them

Upvote 0
I have a similar issue, it is only with my recorded videos. Youtube videos play with perfect audio sync, however recorded videos are choppy and the audio is not sync'd.

I tried your fix above but I am unable to change the values, i have tried to remount as r/o and r/w a few times and that doesn't do it either. What am I doing wrong?

Upvote 0
tigersfan1 -You need to switch all of them. There is four of them in a row almost all the way at the bottom. I don't remember for sure, but I think the last one was already set to false. Maybe.
PuNN- Somewhat. I was already on Froyo. I Also have not taken a video since the update to Velocity. I found out from taking videos previously and having put mp4 music videos on. They were working fine, but after the rom they were all choppy like trying watch HD on my pc. Lol. It also wouldn't support all the music videos anymore. It sounds like it would be the same thing though. Just get a music video in the correct format, i.e. mp4 or dvx with a maximum of 800x480 pixels. See how it works, or just change the stagefright values now and see what happens.

Reactions: azuma73 and PuNN-
Upvote 0
tigersfan1 -You need to switch all of them. There is four of them in a row almost all the way at the bottom. I don't remember for sure, but I think the last one was already set to false. Maybe.
PuNN- Somewhat. I was already on Froyo. I Also have not taken a video since the update to Velocity. I found out from taking videos previously and having put mp4 music videos on. They were working fine, but after the rom they were all choppy like trying watch HD on my pc. Lol. It also wouldn't support all the music videos anymore. It sounds like it would be the same thing though. Just get a music video in the correct format, i.e. mp4 or dvx with a maximum of 800x480 pixels. See how it works, or just change the stagefright values now and see what happens.

ok did it all and didn't fix it so wat do i do after i save the changes what do you mean by switching to r/w

Upvote 0
ok did it all and didn't fix it so wat do i do after i save the changes what do you mean by switching to r/w
In root explorer, up at the top. There are two options to select. It's set to r/o by default. You have to to select r/w as r/o is read only and r/w is read and write. It is litterally r/o and r/w next to eachother.

Upvote 0
I have tried r/w at the first folder in root explorer and when I get to system.

I have also tried not r/w'ing at the first folder and only at the system.

I can open as text but I have no option to edit.
Everytime you go into a new folder it sets back to r/o. You have to set it in the specific folder you are going to edit. And you are using the actual root explorer? The only one that worked for me was the the root explorer that costs money in the app store. After you select mount in r/w hold the build.prop and when the screen pops up select Open in text Editor.

Upvote 0
So the only way to get recorded vids to stop playing choppy and out of sync is to buy Root Explorer from the market?

Yes and no. I don't know if i'm allowed to say... but I searched for the latest version (2.8) on google and a few minutes yielded numerous (free) downloads.

Also I noticed after this fix the camera app crashed (caused reboot) the phone a couple of times. Not to worry, a few restarts and all is well.

Upvote 0
I just noticed this:
Script Update 16

I felt guilty making a release that was just a server change, so I threw in some toys for you guys to play with:
Version 16:
Added Stagefright Toggle <-----
Added LCD Density Changer
Added Used Space Checker

with the density changer: anything over 400 is pretty much unusable, might be good for blind people, I tested and you can still get to terminal to switch back, same goes for low, I whent down to 100, very small. If for some reason you adjust it too much to either way, you can run the script from a adb shell and set it back down, generally you will be ok from 150-300

Maybe that fixed it. I can't test it 'cause everyone's asleep.

Reactions: Darkangels6sic
Upvote 0
It would seem this has been added to the latest update of the Velocity Scripts.

if you go to Terminal,type SU to get super user permissions,type velocity and press return, then press 4 and return, then option 1 is to update the scripts.

To Disable StageFright: go back into Terminal, get SuperUser permission, and start the Velocity Script, press 3 for ROM Utilities, and then Option 6 is to Toggle StageFright, Then you can turn it on with 1 or turn it off with 2.

EDIT: I noticed PuNN showed the update - I just thought it might be worth pointing out where in the Velocity Scripts the option is at. :)

Reactions: Darkangels6sic
Upvote 0
Yes and no. I don't know if i'm allowed to say... but I searched for the latest version (2.8) on google and a few minutes yielded numerous (free) downloads.

Also I noticed after this fix the camera app crashed (caused reboot) the phone a couple of times. Not to worry, a few restarts and all is well.
That's odd. My camera luckily has not done that to me. Please oh please my sexy Ally don't do it. Lalalala.... What are you suurrreeee.... for free you say.. I didn't know this... at all....maybe...;P
Also
Shibby! Gonna have to tryout that script. Thanks hard workers!

Upvote 0
I had the choppy video problem too, so I went into terminal and used the script to turn off stagefright. At first, nothing seemed to change, but then the phone forced close and when it turned back on things were a little messed up. Everything is very tiny now: font, icons etc are all much smaller than they were. several widgets were missing from the home screen. The phone works fine, but I can't figure out how to increase the font and get things back to looking normal.

BUT...video works great now! How do I change the size of things so I can read them again?!?! :)

Upvote 0
I had the choppy video problem too, so I went into terminal and used the script to turn off stagefright. At first, nothing seemed to change, but then the phone forced close and when it turned back on things were a little messed up. Everything is very tiny now: font, icons etc are all much smaller than they were. several widgets were missing from the home screen. The phone works fine, but I can't figure out how to increase the font and get things back to looking normal.

BUT...video works great now! How do I change the size of things so I can read them again?!?! :)

Did you mess with the LCD density option in terminal?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones