Velocity .2 with Jit Kernel and New 2.1 Update

Last Updated:

1. Commandofern

Commandofern Active Member This Topic's Starter

OK. I have my lg Ally with the new Jit kernel (Thanks Drellisdee), with Velocity 0.2 (Thanks Trident) and am overclocking at 768 mhz. I want to apply the new update, VZB, and then put velocity and the jit kernel back. So my thoughts are that I would have to...
    1.) Backup rom/Apps/Data (Titanium Backup/ROM Manager)
    2.) Go into Recovery (Clockworkmod) and make a nendroid backup.
    3.) Wipe Dalvik, data, and cache.
    4.) Install vzb via Drellisdee's rooted update (After i check md5)
    5.) Then Apply Velocity 0.2
    6.) Apply the kernel
    7.) Restore data from titanium backup...

Is this what I would do? What about the ally's unofficial "V9" update that has to be installed manually... Is that worth it or should I just do VZB?
    Also, do I need to go to a stock rom proior to the update?

Thanks to all in advance.

Advertisement
  2. icon123

icon123 Well-Known Member

I did what you did above and it worked fine. I didn't make a nandroid backup though. Already had one previously. I think once you put Velocity on you will loose the 'unoffical' LG update. However you will gain the new radio from it. You don't have to go to stock prior to updating.

3. dots

dots Well-Known Member

If you make an nandroid backup you can skip part of step 1 with titanium. Because the nandroid backup should backup your ENTIRE phone. You could also skip 5,6, and 7 i believe because if you restore the nandroid backup your phone will be back in the state when you made the backup and you'll have the new radio.img.

4. icon123

icon123 Well-Known Member

I don't think he can skip step 6 because he wants the new kernel. If a nandroid backup restores the radio as well, then I don't think a nandroid backup will work in this case. However, if it doesn't restore the radio, then you probably could: install kernel over velocity .2, nandroid backup, install new radio rom, restore nandroid backup. Like I said, this would only work if a nandroid backup does NOT restore the radio.

5. dots

dots Well-Known Member

Well im not sure if a nandroid restore will override the new radio with the old one. In the thread about the update drellisdee states that the radio won't be overwritten if re flashing a new rom over the recovery. I believe that the nandroid backup will restore the JIT kernel because it backs up your ENTIRE system.

6. gaetawoo

gaetawoo Guest

I no longer have Visual Voice mail app even though I had it backed up with titanium, how do i get it back installed!!?? I flashed velocity 0.2 and then the new jit and oc kernal thanks!

7. dots

dots Well-Known Member

Not sure why it wasn't backed up. Even though Visual Voice Mail is not included on velocity search the market you can download it there.

8. gaetawoo

gaetawoo Guest

you are right. strange that isn't not in the vcast list, but i'm glad it's atleast up there. thanks!

9. AlexMason

AlexMason Well-Known Member

You will lose alot of features that the update brings.

10. Vmanisme

Vmanisme Well-Known Member

Everybody just wait a few days Velocity .3 is in the works.

11. skater95

skater95 Well-Known Member

Will it seriously been done in a few days??

12. Vmanisme

Vmanisme Well-Known Member

I'm not allowed to give out any information but I think its safe to say that the process on .3 is going really fast, Trident is going a kiss-ass job at custom ROM's so donate to him and drellisdee (custom kernel work) for their work and just have a little patience, like I said I think the development process is going fairly fast.

13. turbine

turbine Active Member

I hope you meant kick-ass :D

14. pworcester

pworcester Well-Known Member

Is there a direct down load link for velocity.2?

15. dots

dots Well-Known Member

16. toolman520

toolman520 New Member

I think this is probably the right place to ask this. First of all I love the Ally, I went swimming with it (oops) and after a couple days in a rice bag, it is good as new with just a little water damage in the screen, which is slowly disappearing. But I am getting a new phone anyway, and I have Velocity as well as the dres' kernel running on the old one, but i want to keep all of my settings on the new one. If i back it up with rom manager will it load everything onto the new one off of the SD? Or do i have to reinstall everything and then run a restore to get all the settings? Anyone know? Thanks.

17. ccsoccer03

ccsoccer03 Well-Known Member

Sounds like it'd work fine to me, assuming you stick it back in the right place when you download rom manager on the new phone and such. Honestly i'd look into seeing if u can keep the Sd card you have, and save yourself a bunch of copying files, but thats just me.