• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Velocity + Tethering = $?

"Wired Tether & Wireless Tether (built from source with extensive changes required for LG)
-- Support was added for AP (infrastructure mode) so now devices like Android phones & Archos can connect that couldn't in previously in Ad-Hoc mode.
-- A magic Samsung FW was also found that was needed for this.
-- These apps are free to use and not trackable to carrier tethering plans and caps so tether away."
http://androidforums.com/velocity/2...oid-2-2-1-froyo-super-fast-stable.htmlhttp://

Upvote 0
Thanks guys. I've been tethering for a few days now, and I had some observations/ possible questions? At first I was able to tether with amazing results - even streaming netflix using wireless tethering over my xbox 360 with speeds up to just over 2 Mbps, much to mu surprise. Playing WoW over the wired tether on my desktop was great too. The speed, however, seems to degrade over time. Restarting my phone seems to help, making the speeds faster for a time before degrading again.

Still, the speeds after restarting don't seem to be as great as they were the first day or two after rooting/tethering. What are some factors that might be affecting speed? Would general Verizon network activity in the area during peak times of day strain speeds, for example?

Upvote 0
Just wanted to make sure... but my tethering with my rooted (Velocity) ally wont incur costs right? Kinda one of the big points of rooting? Ive just got the unlimited data plan going for me. Thanks in advance.
Yes D2all is right

This is what helped me.
Now when you reset the phone its as good as it was the first day you used it.

Upvote 0
I don't believe they are throttling everyone by default because there isn't a need. Also if they did this intentionally to everyone you know their competitors would be out there telling everyone in the world that their 3g/4g isn't really what they claim.

That being said "unlimited" doesn't really mean unlimited. It only makes sense that once you cross a certain data point they would start to throttle you. Even home broadband providers like comcast and quest throttle your speeds or cap you once you hit a certain data thresholds.

Upvote 0
Man, I would definitely say something is up with my speeds after tethering for a few days. I recently moved to a place where I don't have internet but was fine to use my laptop with my Ally (both wired and wireless tether). At first, it was respectable and I was browsing comfortably, but after a few days / gigs, it constantly disconnects and reconnects with a new IP killing my connection and current downloads. It's annoying. It's not signal strength because it averages -90. When I am downloading, the speeds are 60kb/s at best. I've seen it as high as 1.5Mb/s so I know they did something...

I work for a company that uses Verizon devices for data and I know they do *something* to throttle / control usage...and I'm definitely experiencing it now.

The good news is, near me is a plaza where some clown has a linksys router completely unprotected... I can jump on his wifi & even into the admin configuration with the default admin/admin login...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones