venture wifi hotspot tether

1. varenHjames

varenHjames Well-Known Member

was anyone successful in making this work? and if so, how did you do it? im not sure as to what device profile to use, as Samsung venture has none on there.
    also, im useing "wifi tether for root users" off the market, if anyone knows a better one that works, let me know!

thanks!
    oh yea, and bravo guys for getting root, we are making serious headway on this phone! i bet they are scurrying to make an update, but i wont DL it.

Advertisement
    :
  2. varenHjames

never mind, looks like i can only get a wired tether, all sources point to no wifi transmitter inside. someone want to double check?
  3. divinebovine

divinebovine Well-Known Member Contributor

4. theminor19

theminor19 Well-Known Member

Not sure if it will work as i do not have the phone but set the profile to samsung epic 4g touch and setup as anything with "netd" after it, this will put it in infrastructure mode. Of course you need a kernal that supports wifi tethering but most stock kernals do. Give it a try. My girlfriend may be getting this phone next month and i would be able to test it myself.
    Oh should probably mention that this would be for wifi tether for root user. Its free on the play store
  5. divinebovine

theminor19, I don't understand those instructions. Set what profile to Samsung Epic 4g? Setup what as anything with "netd" after it?

Regardless, it sounds like you're talking about merely toggling on the stock tethering function. There are apps that can do that job, like halfbit's Quick Settings. However, when you use one, you get a "Hotspot blocking notification":

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Does anyone know if that's compiled into the kernel or if it's some sort of hotspot blocking daemon that could be killed from a command line?
  6. varenHjames

hellloooo. this is an option for this app, as different wifi hotspot models have different specs and such, this app lets you choose which model phone you have when setting up the hotspot.

still, i cant get anyone to pick up a wifi signal from my phone.
    will reinstall app and try again
  7. divinebovine

Ah, now I get it...there is an app named "Wifi Tether for Root Users". Without capitalization and with such a generic name I didn't realize that was the subject of discussion.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.googlecode.android.wifi.tether

Tried it. Couldn't find a setting whose options included anything ending in netd but I did set the profile as Samsung Epic 4g. Thusly configured, I was able to use Google (slowly) but couldn't load any other web sites (including AndroidForums). I have full 3G signal (I can see the tower from my window) so that's not the issue.
  8. divinebovine

randolfini likes this.
  9. theminor19

theminor19 Well-Known Member

Sorry havent been on in a minute but i know the zte blade had the netd after something. As for barnacle, that only puts out af-hoc mode, thud not all computers and such can use it. But if it works it works. Sorry for the earlier confusion.
  10. Kobeii

Kobeii Active Member

Does anyone have like a backup of their Venture's files I can use? My phone bricked itself. :(
  11. joshua.worth

joshua.worth Well-Known Member

Anyone have a working wifi hotspot on this device?
  12. divinebovine

Used Barnacle out in the wild the other day for an emergency, worked great, but again the issue is if your client can't connect to ad-hoc networks...mine could so I was able to get the job done.
  13. joshua.worth

joshua.worth Well-Known Member

My Nexus 7 can't connect to ad hoc as far as I can tell. I'm wondering if this device is capable of being a WiFi hotspot if so there should be some way to get that factory hotspot working.
  14. divinebovine

Factory hotspot is actively canceled when you enable it. If you can find the process that kills it (assuming it's not part of the kernel) and it's not built-in to something important then it may be possible. I doubt that's going to work, so it'll be a matter of finding the right app to do infrastructure hotspot.

Did you try this one?
    Amazon.com: WiFi Tethering: Appstore for Android
    I mentioned it in my first post in this thread. It worked (in infrastructure mode) but was very slow when I tried it; I didn't put any effort into it, it might have been just a one-time bad connection or a setting.
  15. Leslie Ann

Leslie Ann Well-Known Member

"Wifi thethering for root" on the Play store works if you have root. This is what is included with Harmonia.

Attached Files:

16. varenHjames

on a different thread^^

thanks buddy!
  17. randolfini

randolfini Member

Barnacle worked for me. I didn't try anything else. I guess it is an ad-hoc connection though, but it works with both my laptops and my roommates iPhone.