• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Verious problems with the Galaxy S

daveybish

Lurker
Feb 23, 2011
Hi all,

I've recently bought a Galaxy S off eBay and am having a few problems - I was just wondering if these were known issues or if something funny had been done to the phone.
It was on Vodafone but sold as unlocked. I'm on Vodafone anyway so thought it would be ideal.

The firmware version is 2.1-update 1 and i'm unable to upgrade to 2.2 via Kies (I get the "This version cannot be updated" message) and can't seem to find a solution elsewhere to this issue! It seemed previously you could reghack Kies but not in the latest version. Does anyone have a solution to this, i'd really like Android 2.2!!
Kernal version is: 2.6.29 root@SE-S604 #2
Baseband Version: I9000DXJF4
(not sure if this means anything?!)

Also...another strange occurence/annoyance is on Android Market there's certain apps which I know exist but I can't find e.g. Angry Birds and Pro Evolution Soccer 2011. Regardless of what I search for, I get nothing back!!

If anyone can help with either of the above i'd really appreciate it. I'm not sure if something's been done to the phone in the past to cause these problems but it's very annoying!!

Thanks db

Hi all,

I've recently bought a Galaxy S off eBay and am having a few problems - I was just wondering if these were known issues or if something funny had been done to the phone.
It was on Vodafone but sold as unlocked. I'm on Vodafone anyway so thought it would be ideal.

The firmware version is 2.1-update 1 and i'm unable to upgrade to 2.2 via Kies (I get the "This version cannot be updated" message) and can't seem to find a solution elsewhere to this issue! It seemed previously you could reghack Kies but not in the latest version. Does anyone have a solution to this, i'd really like Android 2.2!!
Kernal version is: 2.6.29 root@SE-S604 #2
Baseband Version: I9000DXJF4
(not sure if this means anything?!)

Also...another strange occurence/annoyance is on Android Market there's certain apps which I know exist but I can't find e.g. Angry Birds and Pro Evolution Soccer 2011. Regardless of what I search for, I get nothing back!!

If anyone can help with either of the above i'd really appreciate it. I'm not sure if something's been done to the phone in the past to cause these problems but it's very annoying!!

Thanks db

Where do you live? I9000DXJF4 is an Asia firmware, which could very well be the problem.

Upvote 0
That's my main worry, I really don't want to kill my phone trying to update it. I've been searching google for ages too and not had much success finding a reliable looking fix. Everything has a disclaimer that's likely to break my phone :( ...is there nothing out there that's just straightforward and will update me?

Thanks for the tip on apbrain too, i'll have a look when i'm back home tonight

Cheers!
db

Upvote 0
Well, I hate to suggest this. IF SOMETHING GOES WRONG, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! Wont do much good either I guess and for sure it will factory reset your phone. But what you could do is:

1.root
2.backup your efs folder (the one with imei google for it)
3.change csc to for example XEU (on eclair even the sgs toolbox should work)

then try to update, I did it with the reghack + kies and then changed the XEU
yours is basically the same however since your version is not for the XEU it could still result into "cannot be updated" however you can try to download the old version of kies + reghack somewhere (xda, google it) and that could work. BUT REMEMBER TO BACKUP YOUR IMEI (EFS FOLDER i think really google it)!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones