1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

Verizon 3G Speed - Slowed Way Down Recently

1. dcbuckeye

dcbuckeye Member

I started noticing that my download speeds have slowed down considerably. Videos/webpages now take forever to load.

I did a speed test yesterday and today and notice that the download/upload speeds are about 1/3 what they have been in the past. I confirmed this issue with a co-workers Verizon iPhone.

I am now getting .4/.25 mbps download/upload.

I was consistantly getting ~1.6+/~.6 download/upload before this weekend.

My question are, Anybody else experiencing this same recent slow down? Is this something I need to talk to Verizon about or could I have downloaded something that caused this? Any recommended solution?

I'm in Columbus,OH if the issue is geographically related.

Thanks

Advertisement
    alaos likes this.
  2. matab14

matab14 Well-Known Member

I am experiencing the same here in Southern IL.
  3. jamor

jamor Well-Known Member

I just tested at 1.525 up / .847 down - near chicago/milwaukee.
  4. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

Could be ROM related. maybe. idk.
  5. TokedUp

TokedUp Well-Known Member

maybe its the data throttling i've been reading about. There's a mod to stop it over on xda. I flashed it and havent noticed a decrease since.
  6. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

Been like that in ne Ohio for a while. Data throttle made no difference vzw just sucking.
  7. mark77

mark77 Active Member

I find no change in Akron Ohio.
  8. SynisterWolf

SynisterWolf Well-Known Member

Its the dam iphones... they kill what ever network they touch. Were all doomed
  9. eBalut

eBalut Member

1.56 mbs up and .90 mbs down in Memphis, TN
  10. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Guides Guide

most likely just increased network load. Or a partial network outage.
  11. Willtrvl

Willtrvl Well-Known Member

I'm getting the same slower speeds. Not rooted and not a big user.
  12. aeroshep1

aeroshep1 New Member

Similar slower download speeds in Elyria, Oh. Funny thing is my upload is still between .8 and .9. Im also not rooted and not a super heavy user most data in a month is around 1.5 GB.
  13. jbdan

jbdan Well-Known Member

Mine is no different in ATL GA 1.2 down .7 up
  14. jayjay1122

jayjay1122 Well-Known Member

Without blaming anything specific, I definitely took a speed hit in the last month!

Was routinely in the 2.3mbps to 2.5mbps down and .9mbps to 1.2mbps up...I now can only crack the 2.0mbps barrier on very rare occasions.

All "pre-launch" iPhones sold out in about 12 hours and supposedly 1 Million iPhones sold in the first weekend and who knows how many since then.

Unless someone posts specific numbers with the breakdown of how many of those were existing VZW customer that simply switched from Android and Blackberry or how many of those were AT&T defectors, we really can't know what the impact is.
  15. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

Come on Jay, we all know you're getting the TB with 4G LTE. ;-) So glad they didn't release a 4G iThing.
    ericDylan likes this.
  16. Raven93

Raven93 Active Member

1.42mb down & .56mb up in Colorado Mountains
  17. SynisterWolf

SynisterWolf Well-Known Member

they will mid year... :(
  18. jayjay1122

BJ I swore I would not get it (TB) and wait to see what comes out later, but I will have an upgrade burning a hole come May 1st! I have no self control!! :p
  19. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

True, but I'm hoping that those wanting the i* will already have it and not be waiting for the 4G model. So sales should be slower. Hopefully.
  20. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

Me either. I said to myself I would wait until my NE2 on July 4th but now I'm going to use an upgrade on another line and keep my upgrade as an insurance policy. The screen is gorgeous and the phone lightning fast from what I understand. They also have root already as I'm sure you know.
    As for May 1st, I'm sure you can call them up (VZW), be really nice... and beg for an early upgrade at the same price. Prediction.. you'll have one within 2 weeks of release.. haha..
  21. jamor

jamor Well-Known Member

I'm sticking to my guns. Milk unlimited 3g as long as my contract extends (1 year, 2 months).

Once LTE tiered plans roll out I think many will take the same path as me.
  22. jayjay1122

I got nothin!! LOL!!!
  23. John316

John316 Active Member

Slow here in NW Ohio. I think the slow down might be due to network loading. Windows 7 SP1 was just released. Shortly after that is when my network speed took a hit. But it's just a guess...
    bjanow likes this.
  24. jamor

jamor Well-Known Member

My download speed fell to .6 today but im still at .9 up (yesterday - 1.6 up, .9 down).

I'm using the speedtest.net app
  25. jayjay1122

I gotta find the article again, but I read last night that the VZW 4G plan would be an unlimited and only the 3G plans would be tiered. I know that sounds odd, but that is what it said.

Of course the old "if its on the internet it must be true" deal might apply here! :D

EDIT 3/3: Ok here is one I found but it is pretty weak!! I cannot find the other one yet!

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/03/...oure-lu?icid=sphere_blogsmith_inpage_engadget
    jamor and jbdan like this.