[Verizon] About to flash rom, have a few questions.

Last Updated:

1. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy Well-Known Member

Just one question now (see below).

I flashed AOKP, worked fine. About to do Titanium restore... is there a reason I shouldn't restore apps that are red (system apps)? I read somewhere I should avoid those.

Edit: We can go ahead and ignore all this below, because I decided to "leap off the bridge" and just try it, worked fine.

Alright, so I've had my phone rooted for a while now and I think I'm ready to flash my first ROM. I'm currently on stock and think I'm going with AOKP 4.2.1 Build 2. It seems like it has all the features I'm interested in. I just have a couple of questions.

I'm assuming a "clean install" is essential here? In doing a clean install, I understand I'll lose my apps and all that, but will I also lose my media (pictures, music, etc)? Or how about my Titanium backup?

I've completed a nandroid backup. I'm currently running a Titanium backup of all my user and system apps.

I read somewhere that clockworkmod must be up to date... is this something different than recovery (which is Teamwin Recovery Project on my phone)? I remember seeing an option to flash ClockWorkMod in RomManager, is that something I should do?

In which folder do I download the ROM to... the root of SDCARD?

I read that I should "wipe cache, dalvik cache, factory data reset, system"... is that all something I would do using Teamwin recovery project?

I then flash the rom and gapps using the "Install" option in recovery?

Also, I read that I shouldn't restore system apps using Titanium after I flash the rom, is this correct?

Will AOKP play nice with a 3rd party launcher like Go Launcher (it has features I'd hate to lose)?

Thanks for any clarification... since this is my first time, I just want to verify these steps.

2. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator Guide

Hope it goes well :)

Good luck!
  3. tdevaughn

tdevaughn Well-Known Member Developer

Do not restore any thing in red with tibu. You will have issues where parts of the rom you backed up from are introduced into the new rom.. Best case you will lose functionality. Worst case you could be such in a boot loop