• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] accidentially disabled Google widget?

Tinytacohead

Jun 15, 2013
Installed RootAppDelete & as I was afraid, I managed to screw something up. (I'm guessing I'm at fault anywho, tho I don't recall messing anything to do with Google) No matter how I interact with the basic Google widget, (the one that's 4x1, says Google on the left & has a mic graphic on the right), it no longer responds. How can I fix it? Also, is there anywhere I can go that clearly outlines what the default apps & services etc are, so I know for sure what I'm messing with? (kinda expected RootAppDel to be more informative in that regard) As always, thanks in advance! :)

All I've used thus far is the junk scan & task manager area's/not actually started deleting apps etc. Do I still need to flash my ROM to reset whatever I could have done in those two areas and will doing such effectively reset my WHOLE phone.. or just the essential services and settings? Since I had no idea what was Ok to permanently remove, I was making sure not to go mucking around tooo deep yet, or thougbt I wasn't anyways. :eek: Also, thx for the dummies guide link. That's precisely what I was looking for. (I expect, haven't had a chance to go look it over yet)

Upvote 0
Ok thanks. I'll get on figuring that out. Considering how little I changed & that the only issue is the one widget, I was really hoping it'd be as simple as re-enabling some service I stopped though. I suppose it must be harder to discern what exactly needs turned back on/messier than a PC OS.. ? :p (happy holidays to those celebrating!)

Upvote 0
What if I were to use RootAppDel to simply remove Google Search.. could I then re-download it from Google Play, (can't atm, obviously because it's already installed), and use that as a simple way to fix said widget? (since nothing else is amiss) That's most likely what try first on a PC anyways..

Upvote 0
Well, I went to do the above & realized I've yet to actually root the phone. :p (again, why I don't think I've permanently screwed anything up/to the point of needing a flash, yet) Followed instructions for basic rooting & SuperOneClick never responds/locks up every time, heh. Guess it's time to go bother the peeps in the rooting section again. (but this time with something actually related to rooting :eek:)

Upvote 0
While bored & bumbling around in settings, I finally got my Google widget working again, and as I expressed an inclination of before.. there was no need to deal with ROM's, flashing etc. In Application manager-Settings, I simply needed to Reset app preferences. Now it's time to back things up & actually go root the thing/get rid of some bloatware. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones