• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] Add Apps to MultiView (root required)

roy5000x2

May 19, 2011
Boston
Another great breakthrough from the developers over at XDA!
I highly recommend that you browse through the rest of their development section to see other projects going on. I'm just picking and choosing what I post here.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2028535

Please read through the first post carefully.
If you bootloop DON'T PANIC.

Try a battery pull first, then flash back to stock if that fails.

If you want to use Netflix, make sure to check the link near the bottom of the linked post on how to prevent it from pausing in multiview.

So how do you mount your system as read/write?

Steps:
1) Please mount your system as read/write, extract the files in the attached zip file, and copy:

FlashBarService.odex to /system/app

services.odex to /system/framework

Make sure you are actually replacing the old files and not renaming them.

2) Then reboot. Shouldn't have to clear dalvik-cache...

3) (recommended) delete "/data/data/com.sec.android.app.FlashBarService" and reboot once more.

Upvote 0
I did this after seeing it on XDA myself. It works great. It rebooted (as expected from the post) after I pasted in the services.odex, but it didn't bootloop or anything. It simply did one reboot and came back into Android. Then I deleted that "com.sec.android.app.FlashBarService" folder and rebooted again. Works perfectly with all the apps I've tried so far.

If it's that easy, why didn't Samsung enable this to begin with? I'm sure it's due to stability/compatibility reasons with most apps, but I've tried a bunch of mine and they work perfectly, resizing and all.

Upvote 0
I've had my VZW Note 2 since Dec. 21st and used the app from Google Play to root. Worked like a charm. Then I applied the fix to make multiview work with ANY app and it too worked like a charm. Then I got STUPID and tried to load a custom bootloader and "bricked" my phone. I downloaded Odin and a stock ROM image and fixed my phone (returned it to stock) but the 1-click method wouldn't work any longer. I had to download a pre-rooted odin file. Afterwards, I tried to apply the multiview fix and it bricked my phone again. I had to run Odin again and put the pre-rooted ROM back on the phone again. So I DO have root, but I can't get the multiview to work AND I can't load a unlocked bootloader either.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones