[Verizon] Am I the only one?

1. zetroc

zetroc Well-Known Member

So I am unlocked and rooted but I am running stock.

I want to install 4.2 Google Core Apps but it seems to me that I need to be running certain custom ROMs in order to be able to install or flash these apps. I was having issues flashing GAPPS as they would all force close as soon as I booted into Android and I couldn't use any of them :(

I want to be able to still run stock but have the updated core apps, keyboard, etc. I know photosphere and such won't work because they are buggy, but I'm ok without that.

I'm mainly interested in the keyboard and if I can get the other apps that would be cool. Any suggestions?

Advertisement
  2. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator Guide

If you haven't factory reset your device after the unlock/root process i would suggest to do so, the force closing of gapps sounds like it would be solved with a FR...

Hope this helps :)
  3. NSutherl

NSutherl Well-Known Member

In recovery, run fix permissions, wipe cache, wipe dalvik cache, then reboot. There will be dialog box upon rebooting saying that Android is upgrading or something, let that do it thing, then see if it works.

I'm not sure if a factory rest would help. It will definitely clear all your user data (settings, apps, app data, etc...) though, so try the fix permissions/cache wipes first since it won't clear any of your data.
  4. zetroc

zetroc Well-Known Member

I tried to fix permissions from recovery and from ROM manager once inside Android. I also wiped both Cache and I kept getting the FC for keyboard and GAAPS etc. I ended up flashing the stock ROM all over (and rooting again) in order to have a usable phone. :(
  5. NSutherl

I've seen this issue on 2 separate occasions now. I think the issue may be that the keyboard and gapps need a deodexed rom (I don't think stock 4.1.x is deodexed). Can you post the link to where you got the keyboard and gapps from? There might be some clues there.
    zetroc likes this.
  6. NSutherl

I'm sticking with my deodex theory. I would try flashing the keyboard and gapps over a custom ROM (Jelly Belly is a good one if you like the stock look and don't need very many mods).