• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] AOKP vs AOSP?

And to add slightly more...kang is a word that is somtimes misconstrued to mean stealing other's work and to some it has a negative connotation. In reality though, it's starting with another's work and building on it to (hopefully) make it better. It makes sense that most devs appreciate being mentioned when their work is in play within a particular rom so that's why we often see a list of mentions when various tweaks/mods/etc are utilized.

I think the theory behind AOKP is to create the ultimate melting pot of dev efforts into one rom. Basically try to make the best possible end product by conjoining efforts of everyone who is willing.

Upvote 0
And to add slightly more...kang is a word that is somtimes misconstrued to mean stealing other's work and to some it has a negative connotation. In reality though, it's starting with another's work and building on it to (hopefully) make it better. It makes sense that most devs appreciate being mentioned when their work is in play within a particular rom so that's why we often see a list of mentions when various tweaks/mods/etc are utilized.

I think the theory behind AOKP is to create the ultimate melting pot of dev efforts into one rom. Basically try to make the best possible end product by conjoining efforts of everyone who is willing.

Yeah kang is a strange word...I think the negative connotation comes from people not giving credit where credit is due...you can kang and give credit and you aren't doing anything frowned upon but if you take and claim it was all your doing it causes an uproar on the more dev heavy sites...like what happened at rootz with liquid smooth roms for a while...I think most rom devs now include credits and changelogs with the correct props given but if they aren't the "kang" word will be thrown correctly in a negative manner...:D

Upvote 0
Yeah kang is a strange word...I think the negative connotation comes from people not giving credit where credit is due...you can kang and give credit and you aren't doing anything frowned upon but if you take and claim it was all your doing it causes an uproar on the more dev heavy sites...like what happened at rootz with liquid smooth roms for a while...I think most rom devs now include credits and changelogs with the correct props given but if they aren't the "kang" word will be thrown correctly in a negative manner...:D

^^Best explanation ever.

Reactions: Yeahha
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones