• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] beware of Verizon software/Android update

kshrews

Lurker
May 21, 2014
The latest software update from Verizon for Samsung Galaxy noteS3/ Android creates the following problem. The software does not allow FoxFi version 4.4.2 to work. To get foxfi to work they force you to turn on and pay for the mobile hotspot service from Verizon. I wish i would have skipped this software update. Anyone have any idea on how to fix this problem? I do not want to"root" my phone to fix this problem.

Depends on your plan. I'm still on unlimited data and in order to use my phone as a hot spot, which is what the OP wants to do, you can't be on the stock Kitkat software and not pay the $30 a month.

kshrews, to my knowledge there is no work around and probably won't be unless you root your phone. I'd imagine Verizon wants to keep that option closed.

Upvote 0
Rooting your Note 3 is really simple. I too am still on the unlimited data plan. I use the FoxFi for time to time to let the kids access the internet in the car, but use it very little. That is one feature I loved in the Nexus custom ROM's...most had hot spot built into the ROM's. To be honest, I haven't even looked at any of the Note 3 ROM's (4.3 ones) to see if it is built in or not.

Anyone know if hot spot is built into Hyperdrive RSL7 or JellyBeans 4.3?

Upvote 0
Hi Kshrews and welcome to Android Forums!

Thanks for the warning about the update. I too am on unlimited data with Verizon, rooted my phone and installed a custom ROM (or operating system) called Hyperdrive. It has every benefit of the Note 3 but without any bloatware... and all the wonderful advantages of full, unrestricted Android. The ROM itself has OTA capability, so you know when an update is available: but VERIZON updates are blocked.

I know you have indicated that you didn't want to root... but after weighing the advantages of rooting against any ideas opposed to it, it really became a no-brainer. We're here to guide you every step of the way if you ultimately choose that path.

Give in to the dark side! ;)

Anyway, it's great to have you here! Always feel free to ask any questions that you may have

:)

Upvote 0
Hi Kshrews and welcome to Android Forums!

Thanks for the warning about the update. I too am on unlimited data with Verizon, rooted my phone and installed a custom ROM (or operating system) called Hyperdrive. It has every benefit of the Note 3 but without any bloatware... and all the wonderful advantages of full, unrestricted Android. The ROM itself has OTA capability, so you know when an update is available: but VERIZON updates are blocked.

I know you have indicated that you didn't want to root... but after weighing the advantages of rooting against any ideas opposed to it, it really became a no-brainer. We're here to guide you every step of the way if you ultimately choose that path.

Give in to the dark side! ;)

Anyway, it's great to have you here! Always feel free to ask any questions that you may have

:)

Chief,

I haven't had time to go through every feature in Hyperdrive yet...does it have tethering built into the ROM (like our old Galaxy Nexus ROM's did)? I have looked but hadn't found it if it does.

Well, according to the ROM Info listing on xda is says "Unlocked Tethering Provisions" so I assume that means it does. That is the listing for 4.4.

One more note, Hyperdrive has tons and I mean tons of built in features...love it!

Upvote 0
Chief,

I haven't had time to go through every feature in Hyperdrive yet...does it have tethering built into the ROM (like our old Galaxy Nexus ROM's did)? I have looked but hadn't found it if it does.

Well, according to the ROM Info listing on xda is says "Unlocked Tethering Provisions" so I assume that means it does. That is the listing for 4.4.

One more note, Hyperdrive has tons and I mean tons of built in features...love it!

DC, it does have the native hotspot enabled. The funny thing is, I think it's ported from T-Mobile. :D

Reactions: darkcyber
Upvote 0
DC, it does have the native hotspot enabled. The funny thing is, I think it's ported from T-Mobile. :D

I hate to be so dumb...but where/how do you access it? I know on the old Galaxy Nexus ROM's it was listed in settings...but I don't see anything about tethering of hot spot anywhere. Other than where is listed it in the ROM info.

Upvote 0
I hate to be so dumb...but where/how do you access it? I know on the old Galaxy Nexus ROM's it was listed in settings...but I don't see anything about tethering of hot spot anywhere. Other than where is listed it in the ROM info.

Your post says 4.4 are you on that or 4.3? On HD7 4.3 it's the native Verizon Hotspot. Just start the app and you're good to go. If it's not there, you might have to download it from the Play store. I'm assuming it would be there??
With HD8 (4.4) there is a 'Mobile Hotspot' app.

Upvote 0
Your post says 4.4 are you on that or 4.3? On HD7 4.3 it's the native Verizon Hotspot. Just start the app and you're good to go. If it's not there, you might have to download it from the Play store. I'm assuming it would be there??
With HD8 (4.4) there is a 'Mobile Hotspot' app.

Yes, I am still on 4.3. OK, so in Hyperdrive by just starting the native Verizon Hot Spot will work without getting billed by Verizon?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones