Verizon blocking IRC?

Last Updated:

1. fireshaper

fireshaper Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've tried using two different clients and everytime I try to connect to an IRC server it just times out. Has anyone else had this, or has anyone been successful connecting to IRC on the Verizon network?

Just FYI, I am using a Moto Droid if it matters.

Advertisement
  2. vinylfreak89

vinylfreak89 Well-Known Member

just curious, did you try it when you were on wifi?

3. fireshaper

fireshaper Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So that's the trick. No, I had only tried it on 3G. Is Verizon blocking it on 3G?

4. WarMace

WarMace Well-Known Member

There is a couple ways to block IRC traffic.

The two most common ways to block would be port blocking, and packet shaping.

To test for port blocking lookup what ports are needed for your application and server ( IRC Servers usually have open ports in the range 6660-6669, 114, and some random ones), then check if those ports are open using ShieldsUp! https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

And to check for packet shaping is trickier. If you have access to the IRC server see if packet encryption is a feature, that is what the software pirates do to avoid detection. (I have never seen a IRC with an encryption feature) :rolleyes:

Probably a simpler method would be to check out the support site for the mobile IRC application, if there is anything fishy going on, they must have writing on it.